X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie asks how to choose a special tartan

There is a closed thread on a pattern designed specifically for Barak Obama

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...esident-92722/

Is it appropriate and is it possible to have a kilt made for myself in that pattern? I'm all new to kilts, I don't have one - yet. I'd like to honor a man I personally consider very special in USA history, with all due respect to those who were not his supporters. I'm trying to state this in a way to not be political. The question is about getting a specific tartan, not about the man.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The listing for the Obama family Tartan on the Scottish Register of Tartan is - Please notice the restriction on this design.

Reference: 11839
    Designer: Halley, Brian Slanj Kilts
    Tartan date: 01/05/2017
    Registration date: 3 July 2017
    Category: Commemorative
    Restrictions: Yes. Please consult the designer to wear/use/weave this tartan.

Registration notes: The Obama Family tartan was commissioned by the Hunter Foundation to commemorate the visit of former US President Barack Obama when he flew in to Scotland on 26 May 2017 to play golf at St Andrews. He went on to speak at a prestigious dinner in Edinburgh and was presented with a kilt and trews made by Slanj Kilts. The red, sky blue and white colours in the tartan are taken from the flag of Chicago where Mr Obama lives and works, navy blue represents the Hawaiian flag where Mr Obama was born and green represents the Kenyan flag to honour Barack Obama Senior’s family roots.
    Woven Sample: A woven sample of this tartan has been received by the Scottish Register of Tartans for permanent preservation in the National Records of Scotland.
    Registrant details: Mr Brian Halley, 80 St Vincent St, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Scotland, G2 5UB
    brian@slanj.com
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

LKM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if he tried the kilt. I recall he said he didn't have the legs for it but would wear the trews.

When visiting Oban wearing Loud McLeod last year, I was advised that this was the tartan worn by the current POTUS.

Again no political comment is made about either President.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    I wonder if he tried the kilt. I recall he said he didn't have the legs for it but would wear the trews.

When visiting Oban wearing Loud McLeod last year, I was advised that this was the tartan worn by the current POTUS.

Again no political comment is made about either President.
    I have not seen Senior wearing it, or a kilt for that matter, but there are pictures of Junior in loud Macleod.

As for the OP, you may have trouble finding someone to weave it for you. And it’s possible that the company that produced it may have a copyright or something on it.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Steve brought out the registry information and it includes a contact for the registrant/designer, you could do a lot worse than shooting an email to that address seeking permission, or perhaps even purchasing some material (maybe they still have a bolt from the run sufficient to your needs).

And indeed, there's naught political in seeking this. It's not a discussion of political opinion, but a question of access to a tartan. I've yet to see anyone (myself included) ousted for sporting or inquiring concerning the Clergy tartan.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jumpmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easier to follow the restriction information and contact the designer. The worst that can happen is a refusal. Until you ask (which may be fruitful) you'll never know if you can get a kilt in the Obama tartan.

Could you please post your results. Other folks may have the same idea about other tartans that are under restriction. Your experience will useful to all of us.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Email sent, asking if I could use the Tartan.

=Tommy=

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Oilverland For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply was...

Reply was..."I am afraid we are not allowed to sell Obama tartan though.

It was commissioned by the Hunter Foundation and we have only made products for them."

However, now I have an idea, I could ask POTUS 44 if he could ask the Hunter Foundation to make it available. Just gotta figure how to contact him or his rep. Can't hurt to ask!

Later: I found a Web form for sending him a letter. So I sent this, plus a little more that reflected a political observation... I included the registration info Steve Ashton posted in an earlier reply in this thread. (Thank you Steve, soon I hope to get to Victoria.)

Dear Mr. President: There was a Tartan designed especially for you, as commissioned by the Hunter Foundation (registration info below). It is restricted in who can use it. I wonder if you could ask the Hunter Foundation to make it generally available? Perhaps part of the proceeds for the sale of the fabric could go to a charitable cause. I would like to use the pattern to have a kilt made for myself, to honor you and your service to our country.
    Last edited by Oilverland; 17th July 18 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am afraid I have to ask, what does POTUS mean?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah, you have to be a news wonk: President of the United States. Mr Obama is the 44th pres, so POTUS 44. Michelle is FLOTUS 44. Supreme Court SCOTUS. I think they actually use these as Twitter handles, but I don't tweet.
    Last edited by Oilverland; 17th July 18 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast