X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose are Too Long...

Hi, all y'all:

I've a dilemma that I need a bit of help sorting out. I have two pair Lewis Hose; one is St. Andrews Blue and the other is in the Mid Gray. When I ordered them I specified size Large - US 10-12. They arrived and the Mid Gray were size small. An exchange was made and I didn't put the swapped-out new pair of Grays on until we were out in Toronto for a friend's Birthday Bash.

We got there, and I went to get kilt. The hose fit my foot okay, bit looser than I'd expected maybe, but were about 2" longer in the calf than the Blues. Well, they'd arrived not in a display package and there wasn't a size card with them so I simply compared the foot to that on the Blues. And, they weren't another pair of smalls so, good-to-go, eh?!?

Here's the BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): I wore them the one time in Toronto and have washed them. I'm likely not gonna wear them again 'cause they're really for someone whose got the legs of a giraffe. Likely size XL - US 13-14.

I live in Windsor, ON. And, if there's a long, tall kilt wearer looking for a pair of Lewis hose such as described, I'm open to proposals/offers/trades or other nudge-nudge, wink-wink deals so that they find a good home.

Respond here, please if you happen to be interested or, know someone who might be.

Cheers,

idh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone of modest stature I am often faced with this problem. I just turn the tops down twice, or start down and go up and down again. I actually like the look of hose with the bulkier top this creates. Play around a bit with them before you give them away.

3. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Singlemalt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to post this in the "Swap" subforum. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f112/ Some members check there more often.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlemalt View Post
    As someone of modest stature I am often faced with this problem. I just turn the tops down twice, or start down and go up and down again. I actually like the look of hose with the bulkier top this creates. Play around a bit with them before you give them away.
    I do the same. Works very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    I do the same. Works very well.

I prefer this look too, give it a shot
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is risky, but did it with too-large piper's grey. Washed in very warm (I dare not say "hot" because of the washer setting) and then gave them a stretch to desired before hanging to dry. Still a bit big, but not as much. Again, risky if the wool content is high because they may shrink too much and stay that way.

The "roll the tops lots" option is used on another pair that the foot is good.

Swap post a great idea, also.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guarantee everything that comes out of my shop. Even if I did not make it.

Take a photo with a tape measure so I can see the actually leg length of both the pair that fit well and the pair that are too long.

If I have to, I'll open packages until I find a pair that are a good length and send them.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlemalt View Post
    I've always had to do the same. Just choose the method which provides the best top display.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that these are the Lewis hose by House of Cheviot which are designed for the cuff to have a single fold over so that the cable pattern is displayed on the outside.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    The problem is that these are the Lewis hose by House of Cheviot which are designed for the cuff to have a single fold over so that the cable pattern is displayed on the outside.
    On me, they are long enough to turn down, turn up and turn down again.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast