X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasy costume with great kilt question

So, I've been thinking up of different ideas for outfits to wear with a great kilt (along with my regular kilt.) for conventions, festivals and photoshoots, And one of them is a cosplay of my character from Skyrim (fifth installment of a series of fantasy role-playing video games). He's an Argonian (race of anthropomorphic bipedal lizard people.), Which means i'd be having a latex suit (or at least leggings) with a tail that'd be from around 15'' to 20'' in diameter which would either be facing down diagonally or straight down. The question i'm asking you guys is whatever I should make a great kilt out of really cheap tartan fabric and have a hole cutout or a silt in the back for the tail or if i could just wear a proper great kilt over the tail. And before anyone who's also happened to have played the game tells me, Yes i know that Great Kilts are unfortunately not part of Skyrim(though you could add them as a mod) I'm just taking a few creative liberties with my character.
    Last edited by CelticNerd; 15th November 18 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a sentence

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it is a fantasy costume I would think normal conventions wouldn’t apply and you can do what ever you like.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticNerd View Post
    So, I've been thinking up of different ideas for outfits to wear with a great kilt (along with my regular kilt.) for conventions, festivals and photoshoots, And one of them is a cosplay of my character from Skyrim (fifth installment of a series of fantasy role-playing video games). He's an Argonian (race of anthropomorphic bipedal lizard people.), Which means i'd be having a latex suit (or at least leggings) with a tail that'd be from around 15'' to 20'' in diameter which would either be facing down diagonally or straight down. The question i'm asking you guys is whatever I should make a great kilt out of really cheap tartan fabric and have a hole cutout or a silt in the back for the tail or if i could just wear a proper great kilt over the tail. And before anyone who's also happened to have played the game tells me, Yes i know that Great Kilts are unfortunately not part of Skyrim(though you could add them as a mod) I'm just taking a few creative liberties with my character.

I think Liam is correct and, since this is fantasy, you have an ability to blaze your own path.

That said, thinking as if I were a lizard person, I would probably avoid wearing clothing that wraps around my tail as it seems like it could be uncomfortable. As such, I think I'd go with the kilt flowing over/around my tail. That will hurt the "swish" factor of modern kilts, but seems like it would not on a great kilt.

Now you've got me considering all the things that would be different if I were a lizard person - cars, seats in general, beds, etc.....

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to WalesLax For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Since it is a fantasy costume I would think normal conventions wouldn’t apply and you can do what ever you like.
    I’m pretty much thinking about what would make more sense in a mechanical or practical standpoint. But still thank you.
    Last edited by CelticNerd; 16th November 18 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalesLax View Post
    I think Liam is correct and, since this is fantasy, you have an ability to blaze your own path.

That said, thinking as if I were a lizard person, I would probably avoid wearing clothing that wraps around my tail as it seems like it could be uncomfortable. As such, I think I'd go with the kilt flowing over/around my tail. That will hurt the "swish" factor of modern kilts, but seems like it would not on a great kilt.

Now you've got me considering all the things that would be different if I were a lizard person - cars, seats in general, beds, etc.....
    Thank you, I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go technical here. A slit in the fabric (not completely cut to the hem) will allow for the protruding tail. I would include velcro on each side of the slit so the great kilt can be used at other times when not in your cosplay character. I would agree you should use a cheaper fabric and expect to change with the advances in your character's profile.

I'd like to hear about and see the results of your decisions.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argonian tails are not prehensile, if I recall correctly. From the point of view of donning and doffing the great kilt, a slit version would be entirely more practical than a hole for an Argonian. (Khajit might have an easier time threating their tails.)

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Octobrachium For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I'll go technical here. A slit in the fabric (not completely cut to the hem) will allow for the protruding tail. I would include velcro on each side of the slit so the great kilt can be used at other times when not in your cosplay character. I would agree you should use a cheaper fabric and expect to change with the advances in your character's profile.

I'd like to hear about and see the results of your decisions.
    Funny thing is that I actually have a set of wool tartan fabric that I’m going to have made into a great kilt, I just don’t want to cut it and I don’t exactly make enough money to buy another set of proper tartan fabric to cut for my argonian character which is why i’d be using cheaper fabric. When I get the chance to make the cosplay i’ll definitely be posting pictures and info on here.
    Last edited by CelticNerd; 16th November 18 at 07:13 PM. Reason: forgot to add a word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Octobrachium View Post
    Argonian tails are not prehensile, if I recall correctly. From the point of view of donning and doffing the great kilt, a slit version would be entirely more practical than a hole for an Argonian. (Khajit might have an easier time threating their tails.)
    I actually remember argonian tails moving whenever they sit down in oblivion and skyrim, But yeah, A slit would probably be more practical.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CelticNerd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably already know about it, but there's a great forum for people building fantasy/sci-fi/etc costumes, The RPF

https://www.therpf.com/forums/

If you haven't already done so you might start a thread there. The people on that forum really know their stuff!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast