X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted in Disneyland

I’ve worn a utility kilt to Disneyland a few times, and (as far as I know) no one batted an eye. There were, however, quite a few comments on my choice of shoes: Vibram 5 fingers... go figure!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Richard.......the day (just before Labour Day) my eldest stopped to say "Hello & Thanks for the Tartan info (her University paper), she sent two pics of Kilted Park Guests. One Utilikilt or some variation. The other, a proper kilt. Judging by the amount of pleats. As you said, no one gave them a second glance.
    Yes I remember, she was very cool. What a blessing to have a kid like that.

Yes you see kilts all the time in Disneyland. Believe me, men in kilts are among the least-oddly-dressed people you'll see.

Disneyland doesn't really have the hang-upside-down-in-the-air type rides that would be a challenge for people in kilts or skirts.

But many years ago I was the bagpipe instructor for Upland High School (The Highlanders) and one day the kids performed at Knotts Berry Farm, afterwards running around the park in their kilts. There was some ride where you stood in baskets high in the air, then the baskets whooshed down at high speed, with the expected result.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th November 18 at 06:53 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up wearing jeans - which worked out, of course.

I did realize that, at least on one of the rides I enjoyed, it would have been a bit tricky with a kilt with the rides with a shoulder harness with a buckle that comes up between the legs from the edge of the seat attaching to the bottom bar of the shoulder harness. Rides with a simple lap lap would not be an issue and, of course, the sky ride and train ride are also non-issues. On the plus side, we arrived back from Busch Gardens in plenty of time for me to don the kilt and catch the last three acts of the Celtic Music Festival in Dunedin (Florida).
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    And I wouldn't do that, either. Going on rides that may create strong winds, have me hanging upside down, possibly have legs hanging free... not to mention, as you said, climbing in and out of rides... is the place for secure garments I don't have to adjust or worry about covering me/getting in the way. (Plus, who knows what else is on those seats that you could sit in.) A skirt doesn't meet those requirements for me, and the yardage of a kilt certainly wouldn't.
    I did notice unbifurcated clothing however, your statement is borne out by the fact that there weren't many on the actual rides...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you're doing the dad thing...but dang, with the price of admission to those places these days I'd take the money and buy another kilt instead....

But, go have fun...kilted! Enjoy the freedom.

Have some fun. Have your kid drop back about 20 feet and follow you around the park for a while. He'll report how many double takes you get after folks pass you walking the other way, and sometimes get to hear the comments they make to each other about the guy in the kilt...a fun thing for him/her.

Okay, just saw its a done deal...okay, you can still do the same thing at a shopping mall...works anywhere there are a lot of people.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 18th November 18 at 09:34 AM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    I know you're doing the dad thing...but dang, with the price of admission to those places these days I'd take the money and buy another kilt instead....

But, go have fun...kilted! Enjoy the freedom.

Have some fun. Have your kid drop back about 20 feet and follow you around the park for a while. He'll report how many double takes you get after folks pass you walking the other way, and sometimes get to hear the comments they make to each other about the guy in the kilt...a fun thing for him/her.

Okay, just saw its a done deal...okay, you can still do the same thing at a shopping mall...works anywhere there are a lot of people.
    I'm laughing - yup, doing the dad thing But - he doesn't really ask for much...plus, truth be told...I kinda like Busch Gardens. As far it goes with the kilt, bless his heart, he doesn't seem to care at all. Only once, at the mall, a couple of teenagers made some comment (I never even heard it) and he told me about it later and boy, he was steamed! He said he wasn't sure what to do but next time he'd tell them off for me. He's a good kid. Naturally, I gave him a hug and told him not to worry - the day I start living my life to suit some teenager I don't know is the day I'll fling myself off a cliff.

With that said, pretty much every time we go out and I'm kilted all I get are compliments - the last time we went to the mall ( a couple of weeks ago) I think I got stopped a dozen times for compliments of one sort or another. The best is the inevitable question (usually from a lady) to him, "So, when are you going to get a kilt?" Followed with some sort of comment about how great fellows look in a kilt.

He calls it my "man skirt" every so often - sarcastic little guy...wonder where he gets it from...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a kilt IS a type of skirt....so yeah...

Betcha he'll kilt up ere long.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes I remember, she was very cool. What a blessing to have a kid like that.

Yes you see kilts all the time in Disneyland. Believe me, men in kilts are among the least-oddly-dressed people you'll see.

Disneyland doesn't really have the hang-upside-down-in-the-air type rides that would be a challenge for people in kilts or skirts.

But many years ago I was the bagpipe instructor for Upland High School (The Highlanders) and one day the kids performed at Knotts Berry Farm, afterwards running around the park in their kilts. There was some ride where you stood in baskets high in the air, then the baskets whooshed down at high speed, with the expected result.
    What a blessing.....??????? You need to explain that one. I remember when the estrogen bubble burst. One day she's (occurred with all 3) saying, "Daddy can I bring you your coffee mug?" The next day I needed a side of beef, a whip, & a chair to safely get to the coffee maker! Seriously, the brood are pretty good. Well, at the least, very polite to others.

The ride at Knott's, if memory is correct, was the Sky Jump. You stood in something that looked like a metal playpen, with a grid floor, fitted to a parachute. At some point, you must have looked like a secondary parachute.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12