X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be there, probably marching with Clan Donnachaidh. This is a fantastic event- my wife and I look forward to it every year.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleAndHarp For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parking?

This will be our first time attending this event. Where is the best place to park?
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    This will be our first time attending this event. Where is the best place to park?
    What works for me Allen is to use the parking garage at South Pitt Street (near King) at the end of the parade . Below is the info that was sent by the Parade committee to the Clan registrants on parking. In years past I would find free parking on the street north of (Wolfe St.) where the parade begins. But in all cases I would always arrive real early!

"Parking
    Ample parking is available in garages at Market Square, Union Street, or S. Pitt Street if you are arriving before 9 a.m. There is also limited street parking. We encourage you to carpool or use Metro and take the free King Street Trolley (what’s more festive than arriving to the parade by trolley?) Information on the trolley, route, and hours of operation can be found at http://alexandriava.gov/Trolley."

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m planning on walking with clan Morrison, but my lads have taken a hard pass this year...

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mirthlesstroll For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain, Shine, Snow, Sleat, I will be there with Clan Donald......
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would share this with you. I made this Clan Donald (MacDonald Modern Dress), Tartan Banner for the Alexandria Parade Saturday. I noticed since I joined Clan Donald, they did not have a Tartan Clan Banner, so I decided to make one. I did the design, cut out the material, (sewing I do not do, that was down by a local tailor), made the T-Pole, did all the fancy rope work on the pole, got the correct tassel, and so on. I think it came out great. Finished it today. Material is beautiful wool, MacDonald Dress Modern, from Scotland. So look for my Banner if you are going....CHEERS.

This is called a French Whipping, and used to make none slip handles or to splice together two pieces of broken pole. Takes a lot of patience, I was in US Coast Guard, and learned how to do this type of work.

Last edited by CollinMacD; 27th November 18 at 06:07 PM.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great time was had by all

It was chilly and the rain started just before the parade, so we were all quite damp. However, both the marchers and the crowd were enthusiastic, and Michele and I had great fun. Thanks to Ern Malcolm and his clan for the invitation to walk with them. And a dram of the good stuff at the Fish Market with lunch took care of the damp and chill quite nicely.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a cold chilling rain, bone chilling. However the atmosphere, the people, the pipes, the clans made it warm and inviting, with a little nip here and there helped. Clan Donald had a great turnout this year over 60 people, and had a full color guard to lead them. It was a great day in Alexandria, and best yet was our Clan Donald lunch, having the address to the Haggis, and a nice fire to sit next too, (in our restaurant we go too, it was a wonderful time had be all. Maybe next year the sun Gods will smile upon us, but still it turned out to be a great day for a Christmas Walk through Alexandria. CHEERS.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12