X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a Saltire Flag Sporran

Hello all, I am searching for a sporran with a Saltire design to wear specifically on Tartan Day, but also on days that I just feel like it. I found one on Etsy for $24, and the same merchant has the same sporran on ebay for $20. When I asked, "Fahad" cited that they were priced differently due to different materials. I had many red flags pop up over this:

1. The only place I've been able to find this sporran is from pakkilts.com, which is in Pakistan as we all know... not meaning to be prejudiced, but Pakistani kilts are always warned against due to poor quality, so there's another red flag (also, having been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, I am very wary of goods from there due to too many poor quality items).
    2. How can I trust that, if they look the same, if I purchase the better quality sporran that they won't accidentally send me the cheaper one?
    3. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and I think that both of those prices are pretty low and too good to be true.
    4. I have now found it on Amazon for $100. Same sporran from Pakistan being sold on 3 different platforms for 3 distinct prices.

So, I ask:

A- If anyone has a sporran from this merchant "musical wears 2020" or "fs musical" that can shed some light on the item quality.
    B- IF anyone can recommend a merchant with this type of sporran for sale.

This is the type of sporran I am looking for (it also happens to be one from the4 etsy merchant)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saltire sporran.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	35612
    Last edited by The TALL TN Scot; 19th November 18 at 06:53 PM.
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/allsafeall?...p2047675.l2559 I have sporran from this seller and he has some day and dress on his site that look like the that. The one I have is made well for $25, I would compare it to a $50-$75 pistol holster. You may want to check him out if you don't want to spend a lot on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is Marcus Eagleton of Scottish Sporrans http://www.scottish-sporrans.co.uk/sporrans.html

He has a Saltire sporran design but he also designs some one-offs and quirky sporrans, everything from footballs to teddy bears to Irn Bru cans turned into sporrans.

His more classic sporrans are fantastic too. All of his products are of the highest quality and you just need to chat to him to see how much passion he has for the craft.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would steer away from those Sialkot-made sporrans. Some are not too bad, while some start coming apart fairly soon, and some have sharp metal bits on the back of the sporran and/or the chain strap which can snag holes in the kilt.

I have seen $500 kilts ruined because somebody wouldn't put out the money for a legit sporran, and wore a Pakistani sporran that tore up the front of the kilt.

(I have no personal knowledge of that particular firm, but none is required. It's quite obviously a Pakistani made sporran.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st November 18 at 12:48 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte