X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A thrift shop find - Can someone ID the tartan?

It’s a rare treat to walk into a thrift shop and see a nasty, old, beat up garment with a price that shows someone had no idea what they had...

Upon closer inspection, I found out that it was a ladies’ hostess skirt, 100% wool and made in Scotland. But someone clearly had just thrown it crumpled up into a drawer or box never to see the light of day again... I figured for $7.50 I couldn’t really go wrong...

I cleaned it up and gave it a much-needed ironing, and now it looks really respectable. The only thing is, I have no idea what the tartan is. Whatever it is, it looks rather muted, making me think that it is indeed that, or perhaps an ancient. But I’m hoping that one of our resident tartan gurus can ID it for me....

To my untrained eye, the colours seem to be: off-white, blue, mustard, green, brown.

Please and thank you! :-)

Last edited by CDNSushi; 19th November 18 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNSushi View Post
    It’s a rare treat to walk into a thrift shop and see a nasty, old, beat up garment with a price that shows someone had no idea what they had...

Upon closer inspection, I found out that it was a ladies’ hostess skirt, 100% wool and made in Scotland. But someone clearly had just thrown it crumpled up into a drawer or box never to see the light of day again... I figured for $7.50 I couldn’t really go wrong...

I cleaned it up and gave it a much-needed ironing, and now it looks really respectable. The only thing is, I have no idea what the tartan is. Whatever it is, it looks rather muted, making me think that it is indeed that, or perhaps an ancient. But I’m hoping that one of our resident tartan gurus can ID it for me....

To my untrained eye, the colours seem to be: off-white, blue, mustard, green, brown.

Please and thank you! :-)

I's one of the name variations of Royal Stewart. The STA has this on record sold as 'Dress Stewart' in the 1970s and it was once a popluar design sold by Kinloch Anderson. It would not surprise me to see this design also sold a 'Dress Holyrood'.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thank you. That nails it. And a little more digging on my part found that this particular variation runs as “blue dress Stewart” where the red is swapped out with blue. But otherwise, it’s the same animal. Well chuffed. :-)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you posting after a long absence. If you get bored, I (and a few other members) have been keeping the Song Title Game alive. Just a hint there.

What a marvelous find in the hostess skirt. Is it usable (in current state) or can it be converted to another garment? I really like that tartan.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most definitely useable. Just needed some TLC. But it was at least kept in a moth-free home. The leather straps seem to be in good shape too, so I doubt it got much use. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if someone bought it for themselves or a gift on a trip to Scotland, and then upon return to Canada it got a “thanks but no thanks” reception...

Thanks for the kind welcome back. I am still around but still mostly occupied with my own projects, like running my own motorcycle school (not kilted). I will certainly pop in to check on the Song Title game though. :-)

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to CDNSushi For This Useful Post: