X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Kilt decisions - very difficult!

Lurking around this forum & reading a lot, it seems, that the decision for one kilt ist very difficult.

OK - for me the Tartan is chosen, but it looks like, that I will need more than one kilt for different activities.

My current idea is:

16oz/8yrd/knife pleated for winter
    13oz/8yrd/knife pleated for spring/autumn and formal activities in summer
    10oz/5yrd/box pleated for summer (outdoor activities)

What do you think about?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience from your choices all you need is the 16 oz 8 yard kilt. It will be fine for the summer & alright for most winter activities. If you are going to be doing a lot of stuff outdoors in winter est get a military kilt in 22 oz wool or simply wear something better suited to the elements.

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most kilted Scots probably have one kilt to do everything, but usually that kilt is kept for smart events. Those of us who have worn kilts for most of their lives might have two or three. One kilt, the newest, for smart events and the others for more informal events.

I, for instance have two kilts in my tartan, both heavyweight cloth, both pleated to the sett, both 8/9 yards. One is about five years old and used mostly for smarter events and the other is probably about 35 years old and is used for everything else including shooting, fishing, walking around the hills and so on. Amazingly, properly made traditional kilts are pretty tough beasts. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd November 18 at 03:09 AM. Reason: found my glasses
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with Jock. All my kilts are 16 oz miltary pleated and as tough as nails.

Regards

Garth
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Garth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of those folks that have more kilts than sense.
    I would pass on any wool lighter than 13 oz as the light weight fabric does not keep keep pleats well at all.
    I have kilts in canvas and polyviscose for knocking around the camper and race track in as they are more easily cleaned.
    A well made 16 ounce kilt from a maker with a good reputation with last more than a lifetime.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I would be less concerned about how much fabric is in the kilt or the weight of the fabric. I would search out the best kiltmaker I can find.

Not all kilts are made the same. Some will look fine when they first arrive but will show any shortcuts in manufacture very quickly.

So I would be more concerned that the hard earned money I am spending goes towards the best product I can afford.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

11. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post: