X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wool kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New wool kilt

Hi everyone! I just got a new 8 yard wool kilt and I have this white string that holds the pleats down. Do I take it off or keep it on?

Knoxy10

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are basting stitches. Cut them out of the pleats carefully.

edited to add:

Those are used to align the pleats for pressing with an iron during the final stages of construction, and they keep the pleats tidy during shipping. But they are meant to be removed by the buyer before wearing. I wish that all kiltmakers would put a card in the package to explain this. Seeing people wearing their kilts with those stitches in place is embarrassing, and surely uncomfortable for the wearer. They can actually damage the fabric if you try to wear the kilt and move around with them in place.
    Last edited by Tobus; 23rd November 18 at 04:18 PM.

3. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Those are basting stitches. Cut them out of the pleats carefully.

edited to add:

Those are used to align the pleats for pressing with an iron during the final stages of construction, and they keep the pleats tidy during shipping. But they are meant to be removed by the buyer before wearing. I wish that all kiltmakers would put a card in the package to explain this. Seeing people wearing their kilts with those stitches in place is embarrassing, and surely uncomfortable for the wearer. They can actually damage the fabric if you try to wear the kilt and move around with them in place.
    Thanks so much! I did try it on for a few minutes but didn’t try to sit in it. I will make sure to remove those stitches! Thanks so much for those tips! Hope you had a happy thanksgiving!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take them out - lest you wind up looking like this gent at a highland games.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 23rd November 18 at 08:34 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s hilarious!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the question wasn't asked and answered, I may have been that guy in the photo a few years ago.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which has always baffled me....methinks a flat backside would be easier to sit upon and a pleated front side would be more decorative. And no worry about wrinkling pleats when seated....
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really respect a guy who honestly doesn't know and honestly asks for help.

You did the right thing in the right place - you'll get a lot of good help here... and a wee bit of teasing and critique from time to time, but you've come to the right place to be part of a knowledgeable online kilted community.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

12. The Following 15 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second you Padre.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I third you. This is certainly the place for honest questions and honest answers. I probably would have kept the basting in if I hadn't done a lot of research here and watched the videos put out by Mr. Ashton and the good folks at USAK.

And, Riverkilt, you may be on to something there with pleats up front - I mean, they are often the best part of the kilt. Why should everyone else get to enjoy them? Put'em up front and you can admire the lines in every mirror and storefront!

Time to start a new tradition?
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast