X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Kilt-Fabric - numbers for yarn-colors (color-system)?

If my question is in the wrong part of the forum, I ask the moderators, to put it on the right place!

I´m a little bit confused with exact yarn-colors for my Kilt-Fabric and hope, somebody of the members here can enlighten me:

Is there an international color palette used for yarns? Something like RAL or PANTONE?

Where are numbers for yarn-colors to find, or has every weaver his own system?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSRalex View Post
    If my question is in the wrong part of the forum, I ask the moderators, to put it on the right place!

I´m a little bit confused with exact yarn-colors for my Kilt-Fabric and hope, somebody of the members here can enlighten me:

Is there an international color palette used for yarns? Something like RAL or PANTONE?

Where are numbers for yarn-colors to find, or has every weaver his own system?
    Much as some have tried to persuade them to adopt a uniform set of shades that a industry standards, there is no such thing and each weaver has their own palette. What is perhaps more surprising in this day and age is the discrepancies even amongst a given weaver's standard colour range.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Much as some have tried to persuade them to adopt a uniform set of shades that a industry standards, there is no such thing and each weaver has their own palette. What is perhaps more surprising in this day and age is the discrepancies even amongst a given weaver's standard colour range.
    Thank you very much for your helpful explanation!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I offer this small history lesson from my North Carolina family's past. My mom's family lived in a community named Cloverdale. The main industry was a dye works. They had their own chemist that created the colors for their dyes. The dyed spools were used to make fabric for Thomasville furniture (later including Basset). Accent pieces of furniture (from smaller independent companies) that matched the Thomasville or Basset main items were required to buy fabric dyed and supplied by the Cloverdale plant. There was no sharing of formulas in color palates.

Trademarks and patents of scientific property seemed to be the standard then and I expect still are the norm.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 26th November 18 at 03:14 PM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I offer this small history lesson from my North Carolina family's past. My mom's family lived in a community named Cloverdale. The main industry was a dye works. They had their own chemist that created the colors for their dyes. The dyed spools were used to make fabric for Thomasville furniture (later including Basset). Accent pieces of furniture (from smaller independent companies) that matched the Thomasville or Basset main items were required to buy fabric dyed and supplied by the Cloverdale plant. There was no sharing of formulas in color palates.

Trademarks and patents of scientific property seemed to be the standard then and I expect still are the norm.
    The ability to copy any colour is simple today with modern technology and there are no "secret colours' or techniques for producing them any more. Trademarks and patents are reserved for the way in which they are marketed, Dalgliesh' s Reproduction range for example.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps this page on the Scottish Tartans Authority site will help.

http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...artan-colours/

Written by Peter this is a bit more in-depth.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 27th November 18 at 03:12 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, It has been a couple of years since we had an update. Is the National Tartan Center still in the works?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The ability to copy any colour is simple today with modern technology and there are no "secret colours' or techniques for producing them any more. Trademarks and patents are reserved for the way in which they are marketed, Dalgliesh' s Reproduction range for example.
    Mr. MacDonald is correct. I was speaking of my family history during the 1960's and before.