X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Whilst that is the case in current terms, the Black Watch tartan of the 18th and early 19th centuries was much lighter. It didn't become Campbell until c1810-20.
    Yes, you are correct.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmadigan View Post
    If you wear a tie to an event, please wear a solid tie that doesn't clash with the kilt.
    A solid-coloured tie is certainly a safe choice for a new kilt wearer, but not necessarily a traditional Scottish one. Striped ties in the regimental style (including university ties, association ties, etc.) are very commonly worn with kilts, regardless of whether their colours match the kilt at all.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmadigan View Post
    Yes, you are correct.
    Which begs the interesting question of what the Campbells were wearing during the early Highland Revival. Some no doubt wore the Government sett but probably not all.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    A solid-coloured tie is certainly a safe choice for a new kilt wearer, but not necessarily a traditional Scottish one. Striped ties in the regimental style (including university ties, association ties, etc.) are very commonly worn with kilts, regardless of whether their colours match the kilt at all.
    Absolutely right. One of several regimental ties are my preference irrespective of what tartan I'm wearing. And by default, it's my 51 Highland Brigade tie.

Studio_20190416_083409.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An example and just another one of many Regimental/club/ college style ties that are worn every day throughout Scotland with the kilt. This time an example of the RAC(Royal Agricultural College) tie.

WGN_1530.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th April 19 at 04:46 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    An example and just another one of many Regimental/club/ college style ties that are worn every day throughout Scotland with the kilt. This time an example of the RAC(Royal Agricultural College) tie.

WGN_1530.jpg
    Jock that is just a wonderful picture; thanks for sharing!

Shane

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    Jock that is just a wonderful picture; thanks for sharing!

Shane
    Thank you. It is a picture that I am rather fond of. Just so you know it is also a rare picture for two reasons. Why? I would not normally wear my bonnet just for a wee walk, but it was blowing a gale and was rather cold. Secondly, it is the only picture of the only time that Mrs Jock has worn her tartan trews at the same time as me wearing my kilt.We both regularly wear our tartan without giving it a thought, but somehow the trews and kilt do not venture out to the same place at the same time. Its not an intentional thought by either of us to not to match tartan trews and kilt, but for some reason so far, its only happened once in, err, well a very long time!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Which begs the interesting question of what the Campbells were wearing during the early Highland Revival. Some no doubt wore the Government sett but probably not all.
    I stand corrected. A regimental striped tie would be included in allowed style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An example comes to mind I saw at a highland games in Alaska many years ago. A young man was walking around wearing an ankle length ladies kilted skirt, a matching vest and Balmoral all in "Loud" MacLeod. The funny thing was he was wearing the skirt backwards. He was also wearing a basket hilted sword and carrying a shepherds crook. He was quite the sight. Oh yeah, he also had a matching tie.
    Last edited by Rmadigan; 16th April 19 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my colouring I avoid yellow orange and brown, but have a wide range of other colours to chose from - so far the only top I don't wear with any kilt is an outrageously bright scarlet satin with gold dots...

If you pick what looks right, and what looks good I don't think you'll go far wrong - consult your mirror, your wife or your conscience.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12