X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Watch

I understand there's no need to match shirts with kilts, but I'd be interested in seeing what color shirts y'all wear with your Dark Watch kilts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a thread that can help with putting your look together. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85511
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Dark Watch kilt, but with my Boyd Modern tartan kilt I generally wear traditional dress shirt colors (blue, white, yellow) or tattersall shirts with a light background when I'm wearing a tie. For warm weather, I have a tan shirt I like and various off-white casual shirts. For wintertime casual wear I often go with a turtleneck in navy or white.

Pretty conservative, but I do think they look good. I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it is helpful.

Andrew

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by dark watch?
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Sir Andrew! I just wanted to see/hear other's opinion on colors. Not to say one is worse or better, just something that catches my eye... Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I don't have a Dark Watch kilt, but with my Boyd Modern tartan kilt I generally wear traditional dress shirt colors (blue, white, yellow) or tattersall shirts with a light background when I'm wearing a tie. For warm weather, I have a tan shirt I like and various off-white casual shirts. For wintertime casual wear I often go with a turtleneck in navy or white.

Pretty conservative, but I do think they look good. I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it is helpful.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    What do you mean by dark watch?
    From an earlier post I'd say he meant Black Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Randycan View Post
    So far, I have a Black Watch kilt. I hear I can pretty much wear whatever type of footwear, but I'm curious as to color. I'm sure black will be fine, but are there other colors to match?
    Thanks!
    Post #1 here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...11#post1367111

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry. I read Clive Cussler books and one is titled, "Dark Watch". Sounds a lot like Black Watch...

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Randycan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for ideas on what would look good with Black Watch, you might want to do a search on Torquhil Ian Campbell, the Duke of Argyll. As the head of Clan Campbell he is frequently pictured wearing a kilt in the Campbell tartan, which is very similar in color and design to Black Watch. He generally looks quite stylish in a variety of situations from dressy to casual, as does his whole family. So checking out some of their pics might be a good source of inspiration.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...yle-Argyll.jpg

Enjoy!

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Randycan View Post
    I understand there's no need to match shirts with kilts, but I'd be interested in seeing what color shirts y'all wear with your Dark Watch kilts?
    I'm assuming you mean Black Watch. The Black Watch is the basis for the Campbell, among others, tartan. The same only the Campbell Tartan is lighter. My avatar is Ancient Campbell tartan. As a member and a Deputy commissioner of the Clan Campbell Society I think I can help. If you are planning to be every day casual, a light blue, white, light gray, even a black, dark green or dark blue will work. Long or short sleeve, depending on weather conditions. If you wear a tie to an event, please wear a solid tie that doesn't clash with the kilt. If you are attending a informal Scottish event, such as a highland games, a kilt shirt in cream or off white looks great. For that matter you could wear a Scottish themed tee shirt.

I am not a fan of the slouching socks and boots look. I'm more of a purist. To me, it's not a costume. If you wear a registered clan tartan kilt, I feel, you should be respectful of what stands for. On the other hand, if a person wear a "utility or sport kilt", the person can wear anything they want. Sorry about my rant.

Back to your question, I read a book early in my kilt wearing days about the dos and don'ts of wearing a kilt. One thing i stand by is that no tartan above the kilt. No tartan hats, ties, scarves, etc. The one exception is a plaid. In case you don't know, a plaid is the kilt matching tartan worn over the left shoulder. Pipers and drummers usually wear one, however anyone can wear one. It is normally worn at formal events. Plaid is pronounced as in First AID, not as in ADD.

Wear your kilt proudly, wear it often, but most of all, wear it correctly. Check out this book, "So you're going to wear a kilt." Its a great book full of info. Amazon has them. Good luck. One other thing. Thank you for inquiring about the proper way to wear kilt accessories. A lot of people don't and end up looking ridiculous.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Rmadigan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmadigan View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Black Watch. The Black Watch is the basis for the Campbell, among others, tartan. The same only the Campbell Tartan is lighter. My avatar is Ancient Campbell tartan.
    Whilst that is the case in current terms, the Black Watch tartan of the 18th and early 19th centuries was much lighter. It didn't become Campbell until c1810-20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast