X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goat hair sporran...

I'm in the process of working out the details for a goat hair sporran with Donnie at Wyvern Leatherworks.

I'd posted recently about a sterling cantle I'd obtained, and Donnie has agreed to do the work for me, but I'm not yet decided on the color of the hair I'd prefer.

I know that white is traditional, but I'm considering black (with the pinked bit of leather behind the cantle in red) or perhaps a dark gray (with the pinked bit in black).

What say you? I'd welcome your thoughts.

Here's the cantle:

Cheers,

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 29th November 18 at 03:43 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's going to be gorgeous! I would go with white and wavy with no other adornment.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now thats a cantle!! I really like the contrast of the red against balck hair, it really makes it pop. Its a little flashier, but i like a little flair in my outfits.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flip a coin either way you're going to have a winner!

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I know that white is traditional, but I'm considering black (with the pinked bit of leather behind the cantle in red) or perhaps a dark gray (with the pinked bit in black).
    Will this be a sporran for daywear or for more dressy evening wear? The sterling cantle and red lining with pinked edges are suggestive of a more formal style of sporran. Of course, I do think this cantle on a goat hair bag would look smashing for daywear, no matter what the details.

Either way, if it were mine, I'd go with the dark grey. My thinking is that it will be easier to see the texture/detail of the hair in all levels of light as opposed to a pure black. And what's the point of wearing a goat hair sporran if it just looks like a black blob from any distance? Their beauty is in the waves, curls, or the lay of the hair, and it needs to be seen. So having some colour to it that's not a pure black gives it visual interest.

I'll be very interested to see how it turns out, no matter what you choose! I may have more goat hair sporrans in my future too, so I'm watching with interest.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gray w/black. For the reasons Tobus stated.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Will this be a sporran for daywear or for more dressy evening wear? The sterling cantle and red lining with pinked edges are suggestive of a more formal style of sporran. Of course, I do think this cantle on a goat hair bag would look smashing for daywear, no matter what the details.

Either way, if it were mine, I'd go with the dark grey. My thinking is that it will be easier to see the texture/detail of the hair in all levels of light as opposed to a pure black. And what's the point of wearing a goat hair sporran if it just looks like a black blob from any distance? Their beauty is in the waves, curls, or the lay of the hair, and it needs to be seen. So having some colour to it that's not a pure black gives it visual interest.
    I'm planning for this to be my evening wear sporran, which will be worn at Burns Suppers and the like.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the black hair being less interesting visually, but it may all come down to what Donnie is able to procure. Black and white he can definitely get. I've got a bead on a few gray skins, which I've forwarded to him. If he thinks they're workable, gray will likely be the way I go.

Originally, I was thinking black pinked leather with gray. Having create the mockups below (crude though they are), I think I'm digging the red pinked leather... What do you think?

Ultimately, I'd like a bit darker gray than what's pictured above, but the images help me to narrow down what I like and don't.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I'm planning for this to be my evening wear sporran, which will be worn at Burns Suppers and the like.

Originally, I was thinking black pinked leather with gray. Having create the mockups below (crude though they are), I think I'm digging the red pinked leather... What do you think?
    For an evening sporran, definitely the red! That cantle just begs for it.

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cantle needs red behind it to show it off! Not quite as nice as yours but here's my custom sporran from our own Artificer Screenshot_20181130-205904_Chrome.jpg
    Last edited by rsvpiper; 24th January 19 at 03:22 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to rsvpiper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red / Black?

Less is more.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast