X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sweater vest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    I would be happy to, if I was aware of the existence of such a thing. Sadly, I suppose the best example we will be able to find of American formality guides will remain that of a German telling us Americans how to do it.
    There seem to be many here who are very aware of standards of formality and I have seen the excellent guides by Panache and McMurdo and they would seem to be most acceptable on both sides of the Atlantic. Perhaps it boils down to that old adage “Two countries separated by a common language” where terminology varies between the two. I think when it comes to formal dress then fairly rigid rules apply, principally to avoid any misunderstandings but everything else comes under the heading of casual which covers a multitude of sins from shorts and t-shirts to lounge suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    There seem to be many here who are very aware of standards of formality and I have seen the excellent guides by Panache and McMurdo and they would seem to be most acceptable on both sides of the Atlantic. Perhaps it boils down to that old adage “Two countries separated by a common language” where terminology varies between the two. I think when it comes to formal dress then fairly rigid rules apply, principally to avoid any misunderstandings but everything else comes under the heading of casual which covers a multitude of sins from shorts and t-shirts to lounge suits.
    I want very much to agree with you, Steve. The problem comes when people mis-use that word "formal" In some circles, that just means a lounge suit, possibly even without a tie - an outfit that I would never consider to be formal.

What I consider here in Canada to be "casual" others also here, label as "formal."
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I want very much to agree with you, Steve. The problem comes when people mis-use that word "formal" In some circles, that just means a lounge suit, possibly even without a tie - an outfit that I would never consider to be formal.

What I consider here in Canada to be "casual" others also here, label as "formal."
    I think it is also very much a generational thing. When I was invited to dances in my younger days it was almost unsaid that a dinner suit (tuxedo) was required dress , i.e. “black tie” and I had to go along and hire the requisite outfit (because in those impecunious days I didn’t own such a thing). Even in business events such dress was expected and then things relaxed and business or lounge suits were acceptable. Then in the 2000’s office nights out seemed to be “anything goes” with jeans, t-shirts, any old tat was acceptable - for men - not for women who continued to dress up to the nines, visit the hairdresser and nail bar and present themselves in the best possible way whereas their companions turned up looking like tramps (hobos).
    I suppose to that generation anything other than a t-shirt and jeans is formal and that is just so sad. If an event is supposed to be in any way “special” then surely dressing in a special way makes it all the more so.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to EdinSteve For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I think it is also very much a generational thing. When I was invited to dances in my younger days it was almost unsaid that a dinner suit (tuxedo) was required dress , i.e. “black tie” and I had to go along and hire the requisite outfit (because in those impecunious days I didn’t own such a thing). Even in business events such dress was expected and then things relaxed and business or lounge suits were acceptable. Then in the 2000’s office nights out seemed to be “anything goes” with jeans, t-shirts, any old tat was acceptable - for men - not for women who continued to dress up to the nines, visit the hairdresser and nail bar and present themselves in the best possible way whereas their companions turned up looking like tramps (hobos).
    I suppose to that generation anything other than a t-shirt and jeans is formal and that is just so sad. If an event is supposed to be in any way “special” then surely dressing in a special way makes it all the more so.
    I notice this as well. The ladies know how to dress for the occasion, and many of the men do not, either because they don't know or don't care.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234