X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweater vest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweater vest

Is a pull over sweater vest ok to wear with a kilt? Semi formal event.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Swarley Q Danger For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swarley Q Danger View Post
    Is a pull over sweater vest ok to wear with a kilt? Semi formal event.
    Absolutely!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sweater vest works well with a kilt if you don't mind all the "printing" through of everything underneath. It takes a slimmer man than me to wear it well without looking lumpy.

Personally, I could like the sweater vest for daywear, including smart daywear. The term "semi-formal" isn't well-defined, however, and can mean many things. I wouldn't automatically say it's the best choice for certain events that may fall under that category. What is the event and what time of day is it occurring?
    Last edited by Tobus; 1st December 18 at 05:24 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to a Ska show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swarley Q Danger View Post
    Going to a Ska show.
    That was completely meaningless to me so I looked it up and found the following comments on dress:

"Ska fashion, meanwhile, ranges from the classic two tone styles of the British skinhead scene to the dapper wears of L.A's backyard punk scene. Let's take a closer look.

Shirts:
    What to wear: Fly Blazer

When it comes to shirts, styles include the basic white tank top, flannels, band shirts, or even that nice checkered v-neck sweater your grandmother gave you. To tell the truth, most any hipster clothes will do.

Pants
    How to wear them: Roll up the cuffs

Cuffed pants reflect the influence of old rock 'n roll, and tight trousers -- even ripped jeans -- will fit in great. You can even class it up with some slacks a la the two-tone style of The Specials.

Shoes

What to wear: Kick *** boots

Actually, acceptable footwear can range from classic Vans and Chucks (preferably checkered and black and white) to boots, loafers, Doc Martens eight-hole boots or Gibsons -- plain black, oxblood or cherry red.

Hair Styles:

How to stylize your hair: Buzz cut

Long hair can be found in ska, along with punk-influenced spiked hair, or a short buzz cut. Hell, even dreads. Bands like Viernes 13, Sublime, and Fishbone changed the style and gave ska some punk flavor.

Accessories:

What to wear: Suspenders

Nothing is more ska than suspenders. Other acceptable headgear at ska shows include trilby hats, pork pie hats, scally caps, bowlers, and knit caps. Elsewhere, you'll want your wallet chains, glasses, stud belts, and maybe even a bandanna.

Got it? Good -- you're now ready to skank!"

From: https://www.laweekly.com/music/going...o-wear-4167021

A lot of that was also meaningless to me and how any of it translates to Highland dress I really don't know but I'm guessing a sleeveless pullover wouldn't be entirely out of place . . .
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 2nd December 18 at 03:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For any concert short of the opera, your sweater vest will be fine.

Andrew

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This semi formal stuff is just nonsense. The event is either formal or it isn't. If its formal then there are formal conventions to guide us, if its anything else then the event is either smart, or its casual. Either of those choices does however, require a certain amount of experience to judge one's attire choices well. Having said that, you have much more leeway with smart and casual kilt attire choices.

So, for smart kilt attire and with care its fine to wear a pullover,----------for example, under a tweed kilt jacket-------- and for casual kilt attire then the short sleeved pullover is a perfectly legitimate choice.

Short sleeved pullover as casual kilt attire.Click to enlarge.
    WP_20170806_13_31_07_Pro.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd December 18 at 12:04 PM. Reason: clarified a point.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble with all of these terms is that they morph and slide back and forth. I was always taught that "Formal" meant white tie and tails. "Semi-formal meant dinner jacket (black or white) and black tie - what Americans call a tuxedo. Below that was "Business" which was a lounge suit and "Casual" which meant everything else.

Those are simply not the way the terms are used today, and frankly, if you go across the county line they'll be used differently. End result: the terminology is worthless.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    This semi formal stuff is just nonsense. The event is either formal or it isn't. If its formal then there are formal conventions to guide us, if its anything else then the event is either smart, or its casual. Either of those choices does however, require a certain amount of experience to judge one's attire choices well. Having said that, you have much more leeway with smart and casual kilt attire choices.
    On this side of the Atlantic (at least in the States, can't speak for Canada) "smart dress" isn't a phrase that many would understand because it's not commonly used here. And adding to what Father Bill said, terminology changes from region-to-region, between social and economic classes, and even sometimes from person-to-person or company-to-company in the same area. "Semi-formal," to me, is usually interchangeable with "business casual." You might have some people in suits or blazers, others in slacks and a button down shirt (with or without a sweater/sweater-vest over it) or polo/golf shirt. Amongst the suit/blazer and button-down shirts, you'll have some with ties and some without. I've had employers who stated "business casual" in their dress codes and meant slacks with a button-down shirt and tie, while others who also stated "business casual" were fine with jeans and a button-down shirt (no tie) or a polo shirt.

Swarley - I would think a sweater vest over a button-down shirt (tie optional) would be fine for "semi-formal" dress at a ska show. The kilt itself is probably likely to draw more attention than whatever is covering your torso.
    Verbing weirds language.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to TheGratefulNed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGratefulNed View Post
    On this side of the Atlantic (at least in the States, can't speak for Canada) "smart dress" isn't a phrase that many would understand because it's not commonly used here. And adding to what Father Bill said, terminology changes from region-to-region, between social and economic classes, and even sometimes from person-to-person or company-to-company in the same area. "Semi-formal," to me, is usually interchangeable with "business casual." You might have some people in suits or blazers, others in slacks and a button down shirt (with or without a sweater/sweater-vest over it) or polo/golf shirt. Amongst the suit/blazer and button-down shirts, you'll have some with ties and some without. I've had employers who stated "business casual" in their dress codes and meant slacks with a button-down shirt and tie, while others who also stated "business casual" were fine with jeans and a button-down shirt (no tie) or a polo shirt.

Swarley - I would think a sweater vest over a button-down shirt (tie optional) would be fine for "semi-formal" dress at a ska show. The kilt itself is probably likely to draw more attention than whatever is covering your torso.
    I am afraid to say that as this is an international website, then advice comes in all varieties of English and national terminologies, particularly as we are discussing a Scottish garment then I am sorry to say that I am unable to speak in "Americanese". Thus far, over the last decade or so on this website I have managed transatlantic discussions pretty well----there has been the odd hicup on occasion-------- and there has been a refreshing willingness from the USA to learn from this side of the Atlantic specifically on kilt matters and kilt terminology. I am sorry that my advice has been so readily dismissed by you. No hard feelings though.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast