X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporran Chain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran Chain

Ok, not sure if it is just me but I really dislike the thin little chrome chains that attach sporrans. Does anyone know of any companies that make more of a belted attachment? Or it the chain traditional and I should just get over it? :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also sporran hangars that fit on a belt and a belt instead of a chain (a sporran strap). I know that USA Kilts have both. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Scooter; 2nd December 18 at 11:45 AM. Reason: fixed terminology
    May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. - Irish Blessing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt for Sporran

I went to the ladies clothing department at Dillards and bought a pair (one black one brown) 5/8" x 45" belts that work perfectly for my sporrans.

IMG_6470.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ibrew4u For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

There are many alternatives, and you've been shown a couple of those. Be cautious of belts (male or female) that you buy in shops - the dye is not always fast and may stain your kilt. Not everyone wears chains. They're more for dressy occasions (you know, the more bling, the more... bling.) If you don't like thin chains and want a wider one for formal occasions, take a look at this:

https://www.landmhighland.ca/product...n-chain-strap/

I have one and love it, but the clips that come with it are trashy. However at $79.95 Cdn for the chain, you can still pick up a couple of decent clips at the craft shop and replace them easily and quickly.

For daywear and even formal situations, a proper sporran strap is still the best bet in my mind. I save my chain for fancy situations.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 2nd December 18 at 02:20 PM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It irks me that so many sporrans are sold with chains when they really aren't appropriate to be worn with chains. In my book, chains are for the most formal of occasions, and when chains are appropriate, chrome or nickel plated chains just don't quite cut it. A simple leather sporran strap is appropriate virtually all the time.

You should be able to find leather sporran straps anywhere that carries kilt accessories. USA Kilts has them for $20, and Freedom Kilts has them for $27, as two quick examples.

8. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    You should be able to find leather sporran straps anywhere that carries kilt accessories. USA Kilts has them for $20, and Freedom Kilts has them for $27, as two quick examples.
    Don't forget, those are American and Canadian dollars respectively.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. If you Canadians would come up with your own unique currency instead of a lukewarm copy of ours, it would minimise confusion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to mykiltmaker.com click on belts and sporran straps you can get a well made leather kilt belt [black or brown] for eleven bucks.
    Last edited by kilted redleg; 3rd December 18 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Indeed. If you Canadians would come up with your own unique currency instead of a lukewarm copy of ours, it would minimise confusion!
    Meant in a friendly and humourous way, I'm sure, but it's a real sore point for a lot of us up here in the Frozen North, so tread softly my friend!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased and brown and black leather sporran belts from Wyvern Leatherworks. Great to work with him and nice quality also. I highly recommend him. https://www.wyvernleatherworks.com/
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast