X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alexndria Scottish Christmas Walk

A few pics I took of this weekend's Alexandria Scottish Christmas Walk. Here's my group and mixture of Kin; MacCallums & Malcolms, Kith; a friend from the Scottish Society of Fredericksburg AND

XMarker Geoff Withnell! and his wife Michelle.

Earlier, I saw Xmarkers Allen and Nancy Sinclair

Sir Williams came by . . .

and later I took a pic of him, too with his Appin Re-enactors Unit.

The Donnachaidhs were two units behind us and XMarker Thistle & Harp came to chat with me.

Last edited by Mael Coluim; 2nd December 18 at 07:40 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a few random pics I took before the Parade began.

It's always an enjoyable time no matter the weather. The rain held off till the parade started. And between our Ho's, Ho's Ho's and Merry Christmas; Geoff would yell out to the crowds along the street, "Are you enjoying this Scottish weather?" Which was answered with enthusiastic clapping and hardy YESes! Afterwards we meet up with the Donnachaidhs and Wallaces at the Fish Market for lunch and libations!
    Last edited by Mael Coluim; 2nd December 18 at 07:38 PM.

4. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, Ern! Thanks for posting them.

I don't understand the concept of people dressing up in Star Wars and fantasy costumes for a "Scottish walk". Is there some other aspect to this event that encourages comic-con type costumes? Or do people just consider it an open invitation to dress absurdly?

It's frustrating that other cultural celebrations don't have to contend with this sort of mockery. When I see German heritage celebrations in my area (Oktoberfest, Wurstfest, and the like), nobody dresses up like Star Wars characters in lederhosen. When they have Mexican cultural celebrations here, nobody dons a Stormtrooper outfit with a sombrero. It would be considered insulting. But for Scottish celebrations, these kooks come out of the woodwork as if Scottish culture and dress is already absurd enough that they can pile on with every ridiculous outfit they can think of. Why?

I'm particularly interested in the last photo in your 2nd post. Were these reenactors? I see quite a mixture of different military units and levels of uniforms. Who was this group? And more importantly, does anyone know where they got those khaki spats?

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here I am with Clan Guthrie USA. For anybody that missed us, we were the wee lot marching after Clan Donald. What we lack in numbers we make up for with enthusiasm! I'm just sorry my wife couldn't make it. I know she would have had a blast, rain or no rain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christmas Walk 2018.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	35794

That's me on the right, trying my best to look presentable.
    Last edited by Guthrumironhead; 3rd December 18 at 10:59 AM.

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Great pics, Ern! Thanks for posting them.

I don't understand the concept of people dressing up in Star Wars and fantasy costumes for a "Scottish walk". Is there some other aspect to this event that encourages comic-con type costumes? Or do people just consider it an open invitation to dress absurdly?

It's frustrating that other cultural celebrations don't have to contend with this sort of mockery. When I see German heritage celebrations in my area (Oktoberfest, Wurstfest, and the like), nobody dresses up like Star Wars characters in lederhosen.
    I agree with you, most likely this characters have not a drop of Scottish blood running through them. They just like the attention of being strange. Even in my own Clan, members showed up with blue war paint on the faces, wearing totally absurd imitations of Braveheart. Of course you have the others wearing Claymores on their backs, three dirks around their waist and a basket sword on a baldric in a great kilt with medals.....to each his own. I rather be their honoring my family and ancestry then trying to audition for a Hollywood Movie...just saying, don't mean to hurt feelings, but I much rather put things in perspective, it makes our ancestry look comical and I personally find this insulting. Just glad Jock is not over here to see this mockery.

On a very lighter nots sorry Ern I missed you, busy organizing the Donald Color Guard. Had some work to do on flagpoles and other such items. Maybe next time, great photos shame it was so wet, but as I stated in another post the warmth of the Scottish heart and enthusiasm far out did the bone chilling rain.....CHEERS>
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 3rd December 18 at 11:41 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great shots

looked like a fun time

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that Ren Faires are bastions of historical accuracy but I think they are partially to blame. I see schedules every year that feature some variation of a time travelers weekend where folks dress in Star Trek, Star Wars or Dr. Who costumes to attend a supposedly medieval event. After Hollywood took the liberties they did with Braveheart and with Highlander variations on attempts at kilt wearing became common at sci-fi conventions. I think this has now come full circle into sci-fi costumes showing up at Scottish events.

As an aside, Robert O'Riely who played the Klingon leader Gowron on various Star Trek shows was at a convention in Germany and realized he forgot his pants (he was appearing in costume) So he borrowed something from a local and appeared in his Klingon uniform from the waist up and Lederhosen from the waist down.

Not defending these things, as I don't really get them either but at least it might be an explanation.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AFS1970 For This Useful Post: