X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tartan is this?

Hi all, last time I asked this question, I got an answer in moments, so I'm relying on your brain trust again.
    I saw this number online, any ideas?

Cheers,

Cameron
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened by old ones. John Cage

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's MacDonald./ Clan Donald.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    It's MacDonald./ Clan Donald.
    You, Sir, are a legend!
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened by old ones. John Cage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I snatched this up for my best man to wear, kilt hose colour suggestions? I was thinking navy. My best man has never worn a kilt, so I want to keep it slightly subdued, to make him more comfortable. He'll be wearing a black Argyll and vest, with the silver buttons swapped out for black.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear MacDonald ancient colours, you can wear a wide variety of colours. I have lovat blue navy and red as well as argyle and diced hose. He could wear any shade of blue or green you want. I would suggest the lighter lovat shades or ancient colours that are available, with red flashes/ garter ties or have the flashes the opposite of the hose colour. If you go with green hose blue flashes or vice versa.
    Slainte David

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice on the buttons. Chrome belongs on bumpers, not clothing

I'm a student of Steve Ashton, who advises for casual dress a shirt and hose in matching or close colors can be worn with kilts of any tartan and look good. He has preached that sermon many times here. My own experience tells me when dressing up in a jacket and waistcoat the best look is to more or less match the hose and waistcoat. So if your guy is going to wear black jacket and waistcoat go with black hose. It will be a good look.

I wear colored waistcoats with my black or charcoal jackets, although I have vests to match my jackets. I pair the hose with the waistcoat color. Claret always looks good in combination. Navy blue hose would work well with a navy waiscoat.

I'm a really crotchety guy. I think doing things like trying to select hose colors to coordinate with a tartan color, to "pick it up," is bit girly, but some guys are really into the Parisian fashion aspects of kilting. It's yo' thang, do what yo' wanna do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think I posted pics of the Macdonald tartan with green, maroon, and black kilt hose on the thread asking about kilt hose with the tartan.

Wear it proudly
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."