X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaving aside the military, why would you ever think wearing a belt over a pullover necessary, or indeed that it looked good?

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Tobus and Huntgathergrow look fine in their sweaters. Folding over the bottom of the sweater is usually effective at getting the length right for clearing your sporran. And I think sweaters pair well with kilts in general, since, as Tobus notes, they both flourish in Scottish weather.

Andrew

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Leaving aside the military, why would you ever think wearing a belt over a pullover necessary, or indeed that it looked good?
    Very feminine actually.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but as I have learned since being on this board, my first instincts are not always correct or acceptable, being more safe then looking like a fool...CHEERS...
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    No, but as I have learned since being on this board, my first instincts are not always correct or acceptable, being more safe then looking like a fool...CHEERS...
    Good for you, Collin!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To create a better join if the sweater is baggy... Ironically enough not as much of a problem with the tighter fitting NATO style...

Maybr tucking the sweater might be better if it's baggy and worn with a kilt??...
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 9th December 18 at 05:04 PM.

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about of the rest of you but I almost need to wear a belt of some sort, due to all the things that hang from my belt every time I leave the house. I have the phone in a belt case on one side then there is the multi-tool and belt ring to hang my keys from. Unlike some people I need all my keys every day. As for the phone, yes it is a modern smart phone, and it is absolutely needed every day as well. The multi-tool, not so much, but every time I have left the house without it I have regretted it. It would require a huge sporran to carry all of that plus wallet, business card case, and change purse as well. So, yes I wear a belt, but not necessarily on top, I have no problem with the belt and belt stuff being concealed under my sweater or jacket.

Just my two cents worth.

Stoff

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, always wear a belt with my kilt because (1) I use sporran hangers (although I'm thinking of trying out a strap to see if I like that better) and need the belt and (2) I like the way the kilt looks with a belt.

On the occasions I've had where I can wear a sweater (yes, occasions do arise where a sweater is desirable - it's in the 50s F today for example) I wear it on top no different that if I'd had on slacks.

Just my two cents worth.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Very feminine actually.
    A lot of 'female' fashions are often much older men's fashions that get feminised - things like frock style coats with frills and such like. Even barbour jackets with sleeves rolled up etc...

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Irish fisherman's knit sweater has a reasonably looser weave than a military-style wooly pully, and I would be worried about having the belt buckle catch the sweater, even for a belt with no sharp edges. I would opt for wearing the sweater without a belt for this reason alone. Additionally, my mother knitted it for me and it is not replaceable. Just my opinion on the subject, mind you.
    May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. - Irish Blessing

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Scooter For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast