X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a company that, at least in the past, made them. Not sure if they retail, but you'd have to contact them to ask:

http://st-catharines.canadianorglist...-knitting-inc/
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I've been browsing old threads and just came across this. Where did you find this sweater? It looks like a U.S. Air Force sweater that I remember all the older folks wearing at the reserve base I worked at as a civilian. I've always wanted one because I thought they looked sharp but never knew where to get one since, as a civilian, I couldn't just go down to the BX and buy one.
    That particular woolly pully belonged to my father. He wore it when we were stationed in Germany (he was a Lt. Col. in the USAF) as part of NATO forces in the early 1980s. I inherited it along with a lot of other items when he died five years ago. I'm pretty sure he purchased it at the BX in Germany, either at Sembach or Ramstein. They can still be found on ebay and such.

*edited to add: I'll have to look at the tag again to see who made it, but I remember it saying it's the "original woolly pully", with the UK flag on the label. I see a lot of similar versions online, but they usually have patches at the shoulders, not epaulets like this one. Mine does have elbow patches, although they aren't visible in the photo.
    Last edited by Tobus; 26th February 19 at 07:36 AM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, I just remembered the brand. It was made by Brigade Quartermasters in England. If you search for that brand, you can still find them. Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brigade-Qua...-/132955974378

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    That particular woolly pully belonged to my father. He wore it when we were stationed in Germany (he was a Lt. Col. in the USAF) as part of NATO forces in the early 1980s. I inherited it along with a lot of other items when he died five years ago. I'm pretty sure he purchased it at the BX in Germany, either at Sembach or Ramstein. They can still be found on ebay and such.

*edited to add: I'll have to look at the tag again to see who made it, but I remember it saying it's the "original woolly pully", with the UK flag on the label. I see a lot of similar versions online, but they usually have patches at the shoulders, not epaulets like this one. Mine does have elbow patches, although they aren't visible in the photo.
    Yeah, I'm neither here nor there on the epaulets. I think they look cool but since I've no insignia to put on them, being a civilian (not for lack of trying, medically disqualified), I'm fine if the sweater I end up with doesn't have any. Thanks for the pointers! This will help me find what I'm looking for now that I know what they're called.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    I recall wearing our web belts over our wooly pullies, which were worn over the kilt, whilst in the army reserves. Because the sweater was quite tight to the body, the belt over top looked kind of cool. Now I wear sweaters, including my Aran sweater, over the kilt. Since the belt can't be seen, I consider it optional.
    I agree. For the type of sweater you are talking about, wearing it outside/over the kilt looks the best. As for the belt, since it is under the sweater and not seen, the option is yours as to if you want to wear one.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I wear a jumper/sweater/hoodie, I wear it like I'd wear it with trousers. I tend to not wear belts anymore with my kilts as they're not really needed and were annoying me anyway. My sweater would be over the top of my kilt; generally speaking, I don't like how bulky tops look with my kilt so it's rare that I do such a thing except when I'm a home.

I, personally, have never seen a jumper tucked into the kilt.

Best,
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Often I find myself wearing Irish Sweaters with my kilt, as I see others doing the same. However, I would like to know the proper way to wear it. Do you wear a belt, or not? Do you wear the sweater on the outside, or do you tuck the sweater under the waist of the kilt?

I have been wearing it with no belt, over the outside of the kilt, like you would wear a sweater with pair of trousers. However, I have seen several wearing the sweater (which is rather bulky) actually tucked in with a belt.

Now, if there is no set or acceptable way the sweater is to be worn with a kilt, I would rather have no bel, t and wear the sweater outside over the waist.

Don't know if anybody has asked this question in the past, but I feel the sweater is similar to a waistcoat, and really no need for a belt, and I have no idea why you would tuck a sweater under the kilt waistband then wear a belt, seems to be very cumbersome, and odd looking.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been browsing old threads and just came across this. Where did you find this sweater? It looks like a U.S. Air Force sweater that I remember all the older folks wearing at the reserve base I worked at as a civilian. I've always wanted one because I thought they looked sharp but never knew where to get one since, as a civilian, I couldn't just go down to the BX and buy one.
    Have you tried military surplus stores?
    Verbing weirds language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived in Galway, they were simply a jumper or a cable-knit. Occasionally, Aran jumper. In the US, I've heard Irish sweater, Aran sweater, cable-knit sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowish View Post
    I have lived in the US almost 67 years. I learned to knit when I was 8. I have never heard anyone refer to them as "Irish Knit Sweaters," unless, perhaps, the sweaters actually came from Ireland. Mostly I have heard them referred to as fisherman knit sweaters. Other names, such as Aran, are occasionally used if the pattern design or style is based on a specific location. Personally, I had to quit making the sweaters when my kids said, "No more sweaters, Mom!" and the hubby said, "No more sweaters, Jo!" and my closet said, "No more room in here!"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought one on eBay the same make as Tobus.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345