X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing Irish Sweaters wtih Kilts, Belt or no belt?

Often I find myself wearing Irish Sweaters with my kilt, as I see others doing the same. However, I would like to know the proper way to wear it. Do you wear a belt, or not? Do you wear the sweater on the outside, or do you tuck the sweater under the waist of the kilt?

I have been wearing it with no belt, over the outside of the kilt, like you would wear a sweater with pair of trousers. However, I have seen several wearing the sweater (which is rather bulky) actually tucked in with a belt.

Now, if there is no set or acceptable way the sweater is to be worn with a kilt, I would rather have no bel, t and wear the sweater outside over the waist.

Don't know if anybody has asked this question in the past, but I feel the sweater is similar to a waistcoat, and really no need for a belt, and I have no idea why you would tuck a sweater under the kilt waistband then wear a belt, seems to be very cumbersome, and odd looking.

Thoughts?
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're doing it right.

The belt shouldn't be worn with a vest, and is otherwise always optional at most. Sweaters go outside the kilt and the belt unless you're trying to be fashionable (normally spelled w-e-i-r-d).

Your choice as described is basically a good one.

Notice how my dog admires my fashion sense.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that you're doing it right. A thick sweater, when tucked in, will affect the fit of the kilt and look strange. Wearing it over the kilt, with no belt to print through, is how I've always seen it done. I've never seen anyone tuck it in.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually saw one, let say, "gentleman", wearing a V-neck red sweater, over a black Ghillie shirt, tucked into his kilt , with a very large , I would say about 4 inch black belt, large Scottish Lion Belt buckle, with two dirks, one on each side, and a leather belt holder with flask, wearing a red Rob Roy Tartan Kilt, Blue hose with Detroit Wing work boots, and this awful looking gray potato sack for headgear that sported a large Rosette with three large feathers, but to top it off, a very thick brown Baldrick with no sword, just a large chrome buckle, what a sight to behold, it was at the Alexandria Christmas Walk. I have no idea which Clan, but he was walking around as proud as a peacock. Kilt was rather short to boot, and wore two kilt pins one on top of the other, could not make out what they were. Even my wife got a good chuckle out of that one, wish I had a photo, it truly was a sight to behold. Must of been a leftover of the Renaissance Fair last fall, a trying to be a character from a video game.

But, aside from that character, I did see many guys wearing Irish Knit sweaters with belts, or in some case tucked under their kilts, it was chilly, but the Irish knit I had on kept me VERY WARM and it was not tucked in. If I am not wearing an Irish knit, then I like the Military British/American Wooly. I have several and they are extremely warm. I even wear the original US Coast Guard issued sweater that is a medium (looks like Lovet) blue. Works great.

Thank you, nice to know my "fashion" sense seems to be spot on. Just like to check in as I still am learning more and more everyday.

One thing I love about the United States, we do have a sense for the flair of fashion, and some people go way beyond fashion sense, as I really think the live in the video games they play, or the Hollywood Movies they watch. Remarkable fashion statements made as some of these large events. CHEERS.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 6th December 18 at 09:40 AM.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, its a typical Fisherman Knit Aran Sweater, for some reason here in the US, we know them as Irish Knit Sweaters. Regional differences, same thing.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall wearing our web belts over our wooly pullies, which were worn over the kilt, whilst in the army reserves. Because the sweater was quite tight to the body, the belt over top looked kind of cool. Now I wear sweaters, including my Aran sweater, over the kilt. Since the belt can't be seen, I consider it optional.
    Last edited by Macman; 6th December 18 at 11:48 AM.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn my belt under the sweater/jumper now and then, when it's likely I'll take the sweater/jumper off and want the belt. Doesn't work with the slim styled sweater, though. "Imprint", as mentioned above.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    I actually saw one, let say, "gentleman", wearing a V-neck red sweater, over a black Ghillie shirt, tucked into his kilt , with a very large , I would say about 4 inch black belt, large Scottish Lion Belt buckle, with two dirks, one on each side, and a leather belt holder with flask, wearing a red Rob Roy Tartan Kilt, Blue hose with Detroit Wing work boots, and this awful looking gray potato sack for headgear that sported a large Rosette with three large feathers, but to top it off, a very thick brown Baldrick with no sword, just a large chrome buckle, what a sight to behold, it was at the Alexandria Christmas Walk. I have no idea which Clan, but he was walking around as proud as a peacock.
    Wow. Most clan chiefs I've seen (the gentleman described above so denoted by the three - presumably eagle - feathers in his cap) tend to be a bit less flashy at public events when in their Highland attire. Well-dressed and appropriate to the event/weather, but not flashy.

Re your OP:
    I have only had a couple of occasions to wear a sweater with a kilt. I wore a black military-style "commando" sweater (with cloth patches at the shoulders and elbows) with the band kilt. Wore the sweater over the kilt, end folded under a bit (the sweater has a long torso), no belt. Tried the sweater under the kilt with a belt over the top before leaving the house and it just didn't feel or look quite right.
    John

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt he was any Clan Chief, but just a person with feathers in his potato sack flatcap..... I wish I had a photo of this person, to say the least interesting character. I would very much expect a Clan Chief to exercise better wardrobe practices then the "Dragon Slayer" that I saw. Man, I just wish I had a photo of this. CHEERS.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 6th December 18 at 01:03 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never wear a belt with mine.

19. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast