X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavyweight hose

Hi. I have a great pair of heavy weight hose that I got from my brother-in-law. He used to be kilted for pipe and drum band competition, and once was in a group that won an international competition. But I digress. So I'm looking online for something like them and can't find anything that looks comparable. They are thicker around the foot and calf, and the fold over part is a little thinner so it doesn't get too bulky. They work really well on my skinny legs.

Being a long time cross country skier I recalled knicker socks made by Dachstein in Austria, which to my surprise are still made. They even have an over the knee version that looks like it could function as kilt hose. See https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachst...4-adult-socks/ I do have a calf height pair of these that I bought back in the 70's, but they won't stay up without the knicker cuffs to act like a garter. They don't look right anyway since they don't fold over.

Anybody try the Dachstein over-the-knee sock? I'm thinking that's unlikely but no harm in asking.

Anybody know a source of a really thick hose? For comparison, I'd say the ones I got from my brother-in-law look as much as twice the thickness of the Lewis hose. There are some hand knit ones out there with cable stitching that might be what I'm looking for. (The Dachsteins are noticeably cheaper.)

Thanks in advance, Tommy
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Oilverland For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't worn socks like those since the 1970's when I was hiking in Germany (military related exercises). I liked the comfort then and expect they would work with a kilt. I just ordered a pair of Lewis hose and can't make the comparison until I get those in the mail.

I don't need any thing heavier because Mississippi just doesn't get cold enough for me. Other folks may vary with their metabolic continence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - Yeah I'm in north central Washington state. It's about 20 deg F as I write this, and snow is coming maybe by Sunday. And being skinny I need a layer more than most other folks. It's not too likely I'll be wearing the kilt until Robbie Burns day. I'm helping organize it, being a musical performer, in getting musical acts. As far as I know it will be a first for our area, should be fun.

Have you heard of Darrington WA? It's a logging community on the west side of the Cascade range, and, as I understand it, originally settled by many Tarheels. Also, I recently had the privilege of meeting, and seeing perform, Joe Penland from Marshall NC. He is the real deal, an authentic Appalachian singer, songwriter and story teller. If you have a chance to see him perform, take it, he says he may retire from performing in a year. His Web site: http://www.joepenland.com/ He's older than the pictures there reveal.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know Joe Penland. I expect he and I are close to the same age though. He probably was a student (if not follower) of Doc Watson's music. The first time I was introduced to the "Hill Music" was at the Old Time fiddler's Convention at Black Mountain, North Carolina in the early 1960's.

But those are the ramblings of an old man and for a campfire somewhere, another time.

Though I don't know your area specifically, I do have a Forestry degree and know some fellow alum headed into your part of the woods (sorry, the pun slipped out) for the work there. I've heard only good things about the land and it's people. I just haven't gotten the call (or the unexpected urge from the All Mighty) to visit.

Having long thin legs that would be passed up as a meal by starving cannibals, I understand the need for thick warm hose. I opted for the heat, humidity, cotton-mouths and lushness of my adopted state instead of cold legs and feet.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never heard of the Dachstein socks before, but that forest green over the knee sock looks like it would be an excellent kilt sock.

I'm not sure where to get super-thick hose. But if you are looking for warmth, I would suggest looking into some of the "shooting socks" available. I have a couple of wool pairs from shootingsocks.co.uk, and they are very warm and comfortable. They are not as thick as my House of Cheviot hose, but they are warmer.

Andrew

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With skinny calves myself, I always want the thickest hose I can find. Typically I prefer hand-knit hose, since commercial kilt hose are much thinner than I prefer (including the House of Cheviot lines which are the crowd favourites). Those Dachstein socks are probably the thickest commercial version I've ever seen with a turnover, suitable as kilt hose. If I hadn't just spent a bunch on hose, I'd definitely be ordering a pair of those to try! I'm bookmarking their site for a possible future purchase.

You might contact Sally Pointer. I recently ordered two pair of her kilt stockings and am waiting for them to come to the front of the queue to get knitted (she came recommended from another member here). These are not as thick as you're looking for, but she does have "heavy wool stockings" listed on her stockings & socks page, so she can indeed knit ones heavier than her standard kilt stockings. You might try asking her if she could do the kilt stockings pattern in the heavier yarn, or something perhaps even heavier than she currently lists on her site.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could the OP post 2 photos of these hose, one with the tops folded over as worn, the other laid out fully un-folded, so their structure can be seen?

I've been playing in pipe bands 40 years and I've probably seen (and worn) every sort of hose there is, but I can't tell from verbal description what sort of hose you're referring to.

Once I know what sort of hose they are, I might be able to suggest where to get them nowadays (if indeed they're still made).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th December 18 at 04:45 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Could the OP post 2 photos of these hose, one with the tops folded over as worn, the other laid out fully un-folded, so their structure can be seen?

I've been playing in pipe bands 40 years and I've probably seen (and worn) every sort of hose there is, but I can't tell from verbal description what sort of hose you're referring to.

Once I know what sort of hose they are, I might be able to suggest where to get them nowadays (if indeed they're still made).
    Well I have not purchased any, at least not so far. Best I can do is refer you to the pictures in the Web page that's selling them https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachst...4-adult-socks/

Or, maybe you mean the socks I have, that I got from my brother in law? I could attempt photos of them. They could be over 40 years old, about the time frame when he was competing in the pipe and drum band.

Also, another solution that occurred to me more recently: I use boot socks under my cowboy boots (the boots I wear with jeans, mind you, not a kilt). Boot socks aren't very thick, so they are good for wearing under kilt hose.
    Last edited by Oilverland; 12th December 18 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    With skinny calves myself, I always want the thickest hose I can find. Typically I prefer hand-knit hose, since commercial kilt hose are much thinner than I prefer (including the House of Cheviot lines which are the crowd favourites). Those Dachstein socks are probably the thickest commercial version I've ever seen with a turnover, suitable as kilt hose. If I hadn't just spent a bunch on hose, I'd definitely be ordering a pair of those to try! I'm bookmarking their site for a possible future purchase.
    I've had good luck with the hand knits from USA Kilts (https://www.usakilts.com/hand-knit-hose.html). I only wish they were available in more colors!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I've had good luck with the hand knits from USA Kilts (https://www.usakilts.com/hand-knit-hose.html). I only wish they were available in more colors!

SM
    I wish they had more size options too. Their small is sized for US size 8-9.5. I wear a size 7.