X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buttons on black velvet vest

I have recently found in the back of my closet, a "half-vest" (front only with neck and waist straps, no back) in black velvet. It has no lapels, but discreet satin edges on the pockets. It is low cut for wear with a dinner jacket which is how I used to wear it. It has a square bottom, and although it has four buttons, they are very close together, so it's closer to a two-button vest in shape, style, and appearance. It occurs to me that this might work nicely with Black Barathea, silver button jackets in more formal situations.

It currently has plain black, low-gloss hard buttons. My question is: In traditional Highland contexts, might such a vest be worn in formal situations, and if so, would it be better with the almost-invisible black buttons or with the traditional small silver Highland buttons? I have those to switch over if that is the recommendation. Would the black buttons be wrong? Would the silver buttons be a bit much?

What does the traditionalist, highbrow, Highland rabble think for formal occasions when others are wearing dinner jackets? Which buttons would be preferable?
    Last edited by Father Bill; 7th December 18 at 03:06 PM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts would be no, but then I rarely have occasion to wear black tie....looking forward to replies....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    My thoughts would be no, but then I rarely have occasion to wear black tie....looking forward to replies....
    No what? No vest? No button shift?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased this black velvet waistcoat
    A6503759-73A8-487A-9B94-44E6E85D88EE.jpg to wear with a black velvet Argyle for more formal occasions. I am changing the plain black buttons to these to match the ones on the jacket.E0236F57-AC1D-41BC-826D-DBB26AD2D184.jpg My personal preference, only because I have the extra buttons, would be to match but I don’t think I’d lose any sleep if they didn’t!
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhat unhelpfully, it depends on the jacket and the buttons on that.Subdued black buttons on both garments can be very effective though, as would a set of silver buttons on both garments. How about two sets of buttons? Then you can change them to fit your mood and or, the event?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FB, I think you need to provide us with a pic, perhaps as you are suggesting it might be worn by you.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Somewhat unhelpfully, it depends on the jacket and the buttons on that.Subdued black buttons on both garments can be very effective though, as would a set of silver buttons on both garments. How about two sets of buttons? Then you can change them to fit your mood and or, the event?
    Hi Jock. I considered the two-button solution, and while it would be good, it would also require a second set of button holes to switch them front to back. That's a lot of work for a very occasional change. Thanks for reminding me of that solution, old friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    FB, I think you need to provide us with a pic, perhaps as you are suggesting it might be worn by you.
    Okay, here are a couple of pictures. I didn't bother putting the whole rig on and changing my clothes twice; just laid them on the bed with a shirt in behind.

Here it is with an Argyle jacket which of course is designed to be buttoned so it only has a button on one side, although heaven only knows why you would ever button it up:

And here with a Sheriffmuir which is never buttoned but has a row of decorative silver buttons on either side:

What comes to mind, chaps? I appreciate your thoughts.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 8th December 18 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe smaller silver buttons will be the best solution for your vest. Because of the color and material difference of vest and jacket, silver buttons will bring the two items together as one without looking like an added piece from another outfit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Satin covered buttons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, there's the thing. I'm getting good but conflicting advice based on the taste of a number of members. My original question was what would be seen in Scotland as more appropriate. My guess is that those bits may be conflicting advice too.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 8th December 18 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast