X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Padre... having now seen it, if you could some how source small diamond silver buttons perhaps from a child’s PC vest (they might be smaller??), it might be a keeper.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Padre... having now seen it, if you could some how source small diamond silver buttons perhaps from a child’s PC vest (they might be smaller??), it might be a keeper.
    Thanks Liam. I already have available the small size buttons - As in the cuff size. They're just a small shade larger than what's on there now, but my concern is that they would be very close together. You're right - I might need something even smaller. Sigh.

Again, I'm wondering about what our Scots would recommend.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There. After my last comment, I laid them out beside the existing buttons as a point of comparison. Perhaps not as oversized as I had thought.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not quite traditional, of course, FB, but I think it's close enough to be considered a 'personal statement' within the genre. I like the waistcoat-sized silver buttons because they bring it even further in and can't really see anything wrong with the number and nearness of them, either. I think it could look grand with a discrete silver watch chain, sans fob, looped from the second-bottom button up to whichever pocket you prefer, too.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 8th December 18 at 05:07 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    It's not quite traditional, of course, FB, but I think it's close enough to be considered a 'personal statement' within the genre. I like the waistcoat-sized silver buttons because they bring it even further in and can't really see anything wrong with the number and nearness of them, either. I think it could look grand with a discrete silver watch chain, sans fob, looped from the second-bottom button up to whichever pocket you prefer, too.
    Thanks Rex. That's what was going through my mind.

Other Highland thoughts?

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to find pictures of British army mess kit. Depending on the Regiment you will see three or four buttons placed on their waistcoats more or less how you have placed them on your waistcoat. Again, depending on the Regiment, they have small ball shaped buttons, or small flat buttons. So there are options available.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Try to find pictures of British army mess kit. Depending on the Regiment you will see three or four buttons placed on their waistcoats more or less how you have placed them on your waistcoat. Again, depending on the Regiment, they have small ball shaped buttons, or small flat buttons. So there are options available.
    Thanks Jock; I’ll do some digging. Perhaps OCRichard has some and can help on that project too.

Actually quite easy to find. What I do note is that while they’re not the style we’re considering, in each case, they did match the buttons on the jackets. That may answer my question.

Sincere thanks for that pointer.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 9th December 18 at 05:30 AM.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Thanks Jock; I’ll do some digging. Perhaps OCRichard has some and can help on that project too.

Actually quite easy to find. What I do note is that while they’re not the style we’re considering, in each case, they did match the buttons on the jackets. That may answer my question.

Sincere thanks for that pointer.
    Just to hinder your thinking a tad, Bill. We need to remember that we are civilians and as such we are not bound by strict military dress regulations. We as civilians, are guided by conventions, aesthetics and good taste which makes our attire choices a tad more tricky on occasion.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just to hinder your thinking a tad, Bill. We need to remember that we are civilians and as such we are not bound by strict military dress regulations. We as civilians, are guided by conventions, aesthetics and good taste which makes our attire choices a tad more tricky on occasion.
    A useful warning. When there is no regulation, it all falls back on our shoulders and both gives and removes some flexibility. Thanks Jock. Your perspective is always appreciated.

Having said that... I sewed on the new buttons yesterday and love the look.

I do not see it being used for frequent occasions, just a very occasional, very festive and formal situation (next year's Christmas party?) with the Sheriffmuir when I really don't feel like wearing the Black Barathea silver buttoned vest that I normally use, but then, having not used the velvet vest for over ten years, that's a better use for a pretty garment than hanging in my closet. It will be a rare occasion indeed.

For the wee bit that shows when the jacket is worn over it, it looks more like a velvet cummerbund than a vest and frankly is the same shade of black as the Barathea. (Of course there are shades of black, at least 50!)

Maybe next time I've got a kilt on, I'll slip it on for a moment and take a picture to post.

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12