X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be interested...

I ran across these on eBay and thought you might be interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/custom-made...temCondition=4

I know nothing of the seller or quality of the sgians, but the price point seems right, even if they aren't antique.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Hummmm, be careful with the top picture, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Black Watch SD’s are often gilded silver———gold(real gold) on silver( proper silver). Yes I know, gold is not supposed to tarnish, but if they have been worn and then not used for a long time then they can look as though the metal work, on the sheath, is brass.

Just saying from personal experience.
    To slightly go off topic for a post, here is a picture of my-----a family item------ similar SD that, I hope, illustrates my point, that some may find useful to compare with Bruce's picture above. Before I go on we need understand a couple of things. 1: Officers SD's in the Black Watch usually/always(?) have silver furniture of their SD's. Silver gilt for the regulars and plain silver for the Territorial Units. 2: THERE ARE Black Watch SD's with brass furnishings and I suspect(I don't know for sure) those were/are for "the other ranks".

Why I stress careful observation of a Black Watch SD is that an unknowing owner may make the mistake of cleaning off the silver gilt and thus devaluing their cherished item. You don't believe me? I saw one on this very website a while ago that someone had tried to "clean" their Silver Gilt BW SD and the end result was rather sad and decidedly scruffy.

This item has Silver Gilt(AKA vermeil) furnishings.(click to enlarge)
    051.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th December 18 at 06:40 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great knives - Right Price

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I ran across these on eBay and thought you might be interested:

I know nothing of the seller or quality of the sgians, but the price point seems right, even if they aren't antique.

Cheers,

SM

Even though not antique or old, I purchased one of these knives, because at this price, they are very attractive. I corresponded with the craftsman of the knives, Alan Wilkie, and he verified that they are indeed hand made, sterling silver, and of Scottish origin. They are marketed through the Ardgowan Distilery website.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Border Collie Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage Accessories - Sgian Duhhs

Having recently moved I'm having a clear out and have four antique silver sgian dubhs I want to get rid of. Notwithstanding that I've loaded pictures in the past I have not been able to do so right now; if you are interested and want to see pictures drop me a personal mail and I will send photographs.

And by the way I still have a couple of antique brass sporrans and an officer pattern Culloden sporran with bag. The cantle of the latter needs a little soldering Ditto in relation to pictures.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Padraicog-

You might want to post in the "For Sale" section. It sounds like your items will generate a lot of interest from the members here.

If I weren't currently in China, I would be inquiring myself

Andrew

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to find a 1971 TKE Sgian (identical to one shown by Border Collie Dave) in misc box at auction for £60 ( along with a decent sporran, practice chanter, picollo, hose and plaid brooch) however I also have 1941 TKE Gordon Highlander SD but the quality of the 1971 sgian is so poor with its cheap stainless blade, moulded handle, paste stone compared with the carbon steel blade, carved ebony and real stone of the GH sgian.

Not sure of any Bricks and Mortar outlets but House of Labhran or the Ministry of Tartan sell vintage kit on line

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tristan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I managed to find a 1971 TKE Sgian (identical to one shown by Border Collie Dave) in misc box at auction for £60 ( along with a decent sporran, practice chanter, picollo, hose and plaid brooch) however I also have 1941 TKE Gordon Highlander SD but the quality of the 1971 sgian is so poor with its cheap stainless blade, moulded handle, paste stone compared with the carbon steel blade, carved ebony and real stone of the GH sgian.

Not sure of any Bricks and Mortar outlets but House of Labhran or the Ministry of Tartan sell vintage kit on line
    So, perhaps we have discovered that older Ebbett SDs are of a higher quality, or that TKE made high end AND low end knives. It's good to know and to avoid overpaying for a SD simply based on manufacturer.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Alan Wilkie's work, but it seems to be universally excellent. I will share images of the one I bought from him when I get it. Still looking for a nice vintage one.

BCD

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Border Collie Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please post photos...

Anxious to see photos of the sgian you purchased and read your critique of the product.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12