X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Various alternatives to the stardard garter flashes of today.....acceptable or not

In my search in looking for more unique items, I ran across these bow garter flashes and really like them but price is little steep. I am sure many of the more experienced have seen or even have these. One particular pair brought back some childhood memories. The set directly below, refreshed my mind, as I remember many years ago, as a little boy, seeing my grandfather wearing these with his kilt. At that time, I was about 7 or 8, I thought he won an award at the fair, as they were blue. I thought he won something, or a race and the style just stuck in my mind. Obviously, as I grew older I knew they were garters. To be exact, i believe they are referred to as Argyle Victorian Style Rosette Garters.

I really do like them, but once again, would like to know when do you wear these, are they considered acceptable

In addition a vendor that sells these (they are not inexpensive), has several other styles shown below.

The 1850's Style

Scottish Regimental Bows (is this limited to members of Scottish Military Regiments, various colors)

Gaelic Knot Bows:

Several more different types are offered so are these considered acceptable, formal wear, daywear, anytime wear? Thoughts? Experience with these? Considered Highland or Lowland or any land in Scotland? Like to know more about these. Thanks
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 17th December 18 at 11:38 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most locals would consider your suggestions as rather unnecessarily theatrical for this day and age. I fear that I am left with the feeling that you might be trying too hard to be different.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think most locals would consider your suggestions as rather unnecessarily theatrical for this day and age. I fear that I am left with the feeling that you might be trying too hard to be different.
    Jock,
    Sorry if I offended you and others across the pond. My inquiry was not meant to offend, but to learn and understand. Don't know what you mean for theatrical, just stating what I remember as a little boy growing up in a Nova Scotia household. Living in the States with grandparents from Canada was different, especially growing up Scottish in an Boston Irish neighborhood. "Donald Where Are Your Trousers" was sang many times, theatrical or not, it was part of my life. Or are you saying the products are just theatrical and not practical or acceptable? Little confused here to your statement.

Just that I see the same materials and items ranging all prices, and basically they are the same product. I just want to have more alternatives rather than just purchasing the same thing. I hope this explains it better, again sorry if I misrepresented what I intended. Thank you for pointing this out to me. Still would like to know if these items above are acceptable or not? Thanks
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 17th December 18 at 11:41 AM.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Jock,

Sorry if I offended you, it was not meant to offend, but to learn. Just that I see the same materials and items for all different prices, and want to have more alternatives rather than just purchasing the same thing. I hope this explains it better, again sorry if I misrepresented what I intended. Thank you for pointing this out to me. Still would like to know if these items above are acceptable or not? Thanks
    I am not in the least bit offended Collin. I just tried to answer your question, that is all and my reply would be exactly the same for your question in post 3.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th December 18 at 11:39 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I take it, it would be more of a costume that normal dress. Interpreted another way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the traditional thinking Highland Scot who wears the kilt on a regular basis in particular and regular traditional thinking kilted Scots in general, the kilt is not ever considered a costume, unless worn at a pantomime or on a film set. We also leave the costume bit for hire companies and foreigners where excesses, are I am afraid, expected. Sorry, but you did press for clarification!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll offer a perspective from the States. I've been attending Scottish Festivals and Highland Games in various parts of the U.S. for many decades and I can't recall ever seeing anything like the flashes in the photos. To be honest, I think most people would think them to be a little over the top or too flashy (sorry for the pun). There might be a fancy dress venue where they'd be OK, but I can't think of one.

Aye yours,
    CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    I'll offer a perspective from the States. I've been attending Scottish Festivals and Highland Games in various parts of the U.S. for many decades and I can't recall ever seeing anything like the flashes in the photos. To be honest, I think most people would think them to be a little over the top or too flashy (sorry for the pun). There might be a fancy dress venue where they'd be OK, but I can't think of one.

Aye yours,
    CTB
    Exactly why I am bringing this up, real flashing too fancy, but ran across them and just thought I would through it out there to see what others thought too.

But I have seen them a few time, at the Richmond Games this year, saw several of the bow and 1850 style. Thank you for your perspective.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    To the traditional thinking Highland Scot who wears the kilt on a regular basis in particular and regular traditional thinking kilted Scots in general, the kilt is not ever considered a costume, unless worn at a pantomime or on a film set. We also leave the costume bit for hire companies and foreigners where excesses, are I am afraid, expected. Sorry, but you did press for clarification!
    Just what I was looking for Jock, knew I could depend upon you for a solid answer. This is why I ask and check.....CHEERS.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21979208_10155869052653319_1074148024_n.jpg

This is an early attempt of something of that sort, made to wear with my 18th Century kit. I ended up with something a bit different. Will get a photo the next time im in period kit. I dont wear those garters with my modern clothing, as I hate to say it, over here in the states, if you dont look like a kilted extra from Beyond Thunderdome, or pose like a Simian Primate, your a kilt cop, and wearing these would make you a foppish kilt kop.....

Edited to add:

If you have any hand sewing ability, making these are quite easy. There is really only one source for all the wool tapes and braids, and you can order the same raw materials as HoL has theirs made with from Wydean. If you have more money than time, just order them premade.
    Last edited by Luke MacGillie; 17th December 18 at 08:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast