X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Military kilt size

I am trying to decide between two old military kilts. One is a size 14, 30" waist, 25" total length, for height 5'7"-5'8". The other is a size 20, 31" waist, 26" total length, for height 5'9"-5'10". The one with the 30" waist is about $20 less than the other. As I am 5'7" with a 31 1/2 natural waist, which one would I be better off with?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the straps are generally fairly easy to move and offer some adjustment even as they are, so I'd be more concerned about the length of the kilts.

Others may chime in.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that's a tough call on which way to go. I would think that the first one, sized to your height, would be the better fit. You should be able to get enough adjustment from the straps for your additional 1-1/2" waist.

I'm 5'-7" too, and my military kilt is 25-1/2" long (including a 2-3/4" rise, so the actual drop is 22-3/4"). I like that length, as it puts the selvedge right at the top of my knee when worn at my natural waist. But everybody's natural waist is slightly different, so you'll want to do a test with a bath towel or something and see which length works best for you.

I've found that the most unforgiving part of fitting a military kilt is the hip strap. These things are made for people with no butt flare! So even though mine fits at my natural waist, I struggle to even get the lower hip strap buckled to its last set of holes. If you're thin enough with not a lot of rear end width, the narrower waist kilt might work.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I ended up going with the smaller one. I will update with results once it arrives. Tobus, I saw the thread where you were asking similar questions when looking for a military kilt, so I was hoping you would chime in. My biggest question on the matter was whether the size printed on the label was for the smallest or largest hole in the strap. I searched for an answer but only found information about length and rise.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, military kilt size labels can be a minefield. They're not all the same, and they're not always accurate.

Some of them have a size number like the ones you describe (size 14). Mine doesn't. It just has a waist, breech, and height numbers along with some serial numbers and such.

Mine is sized for an 84cm waist (33"), 100cm breech (39"), and 170cm height (5'-7"). I don't really have a 33" waist. At the time I bought it, I had a 34" waist and could wear it at the tightest set of holes on the straps comfortably enough. These days my waist is more like 35" to 36" (I'm trying to shed these pounds). I can still wear that kilt and cinch it down to the second set of holes on the top straps for comfort, or even still to the tightest set of holes if I want it really really tight. But that darn hip strap sure makes me fight to get it through the buckle, much less in the holes. If I can't shed the weight, I may have to move that hip buckle or make an extended strap for it.

At any rate, if yours is at all like mine, you should still be able to wear it comfortably enough with your waist being 1-1/2" larger than the official size on the tag. You may be on the second set of holes in the strap. Then again, yours may not fit relative to the tag at all like mine. Let us know how it turns out!

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news, the kilt arrived and it fits me comfortably on the smallest setting, and comes down to exactly mid-knee. It's a 1966 dated Argyle and Sutherland kilt made by Thomas Gordon, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it even has a military box pleat. It has four different names inside of people it was issued to, but I have found no damage and the kilt seems to be in excellent condition with hardly any wear. Now to find an appropriate sporran that doesn't break the bank...

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to jhughes For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good looking Jay. A bit of steaming and a press would make your kilt parade ready. I like to wear my kilts high against ribs and wonder what your thoughts are with this kilt.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good but I would hike it up a wee it more, here is a sporran that shouldn't be too dear

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scouts-Vi...EPip:rk:9:pf:0
    Last edited by McMurdo; 31st December 18 at 10:52 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the kilt hanging to try a let the pleats settle from shipping, hopefully that will be all they need. When the picture was taken I had the kilt at my natural waist, and against the lower ribs. I think the angle of the camera makes it look a bit lower than it actually is, the selvedge lies just above mid-knee. I wouldn't want it any lower, but it felt comfortable enough there. I'm glad I didn't get the other kilt that was an inch longer!
    As for general impressions, I can see why these things are called tanks! At 4 lbs the weight is noticeable but it rides very well and I think it will quickly become my favorite kilt. I am very impressed with the build quality, and having paid less than $100 for it including shipping I imagine that it would be the next best thing to having a bespoke kilt.

McMurdo: thanks for the link, that is the style I was looking for. I was also looking at this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHER-SCO...7176%7Ciid%3A1

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhughes For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you pick up all these great bargains? I'm fed up paying premium.

Looks like a great kilt. I'd slap her on the ironing deck and give her a thorough pressing. It's rather therapeutic ironing especially the military box pleat.

Well purchased J.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Garth For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast