X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Advice

I am trying to figure out which clan colors I should be wearing as part of my heritage, and I could use some advice. So, for the past 6 months, I have been doing genealogical research on my family trying to track down my Scottish heritage. (Quick history: My family with only one exception has been in the US for over 300 years so it's been hard to trace back things until recently as I'm the first person, that I'm aware of, to really care about our heritage).

Anyways, I've been able to trace back my two most paternal lines back to Paisley, Scotland in the 1600's.

I have an 8th great grandfather named John Whyte who was an apothecary. (Most paternal line)

I have an 8th great grandmother named Barbara Hume. (My second most paternal line)

Whyte is a sept of both Clans Lamont and Gregor, but I can't find any information that ties my Whyte ancestor to either clan specifically and I'm certain that I've hit a dead end.

Hume, of course, is another variant of Home as in Clan Home, and I feel much more confident about the clan connection in that lineage.

What do y'all think? Or should I try and keep digging to see if I can't find any more information. My goal in the end would be to go with one clan, and that be my clan for here on out if possible.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katertot79 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also consider the area you found your family (as best you can tell) is from. There are many tartans that represent districts, and areas, an example being Isle of Skye. You may find a tartan that is beautiful to you that would be appropriate before you find a particular family or clan connection.

My family has been in America since 1637 but I found the last connection to my Scottish clan and will eventually get a kilt in that tartan. Until then, I wear the U.S.Army tartan (as a veteran) and the Confederate Memorial (I'm a North Carolina child). I could wear other tartans that fit my tastes in color and pattern (like the Carolina tartan) as well because I can explain my attraction.

I recommend you don't worry too much on getting an exact tartan before you search deeper into the genealogy or are just compelled with a tartan that you are attracted to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've reached a dead end, because the majority of people of Scotland were not in clans. Clans were in general, groupings of the gaels.

The Home's / Humes being a border family would not normally be associated with being called a clan, the word clann being derived from a Gaelic word for children . But the Homes are of Anglo Danish descent from the borders of Scotland with England .

Personally I think the suggestion of a regional tartan is a good one.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the 1600's was a time when many clan lands were still intact, the fact that both your lines end up in Paisley indicate that they had moved. Clan Lamont was from the Cowal Peninsula in Argyle - just across the Clyde from Paisley so it may be your closest match. The Clan Gregor (MacGregor) were up on the northeast shore of Loch Lomond, again not terribly far. The Hume were a powerful border family.

So I guess if I was asked, I would go with Lamont (which if you are in the U.S. is not pronounced the way you think - its more like lament.) After 400 years no one is going to question your choice. Plus the clan is active in the U.S. at many highland games and that means something here.

But there is a very nice Paisley district tartan the might be just the thing.

http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...-district-clan
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about limiting yourself. Get a BUNCH of kilts in tartans that are meaningful to YOU.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Don't worry about limiting yourself. Get a BUNCH of kilts in tartans that are meaningful to YOU.
    Well, that is a perfectly legitimate point of view. The opposite view perhaps, that is a more traditional route certainly in Scotland, is stick to the one tartan of your choice and concentrate building your better accessories around it. It is a far chea... umm well, less expensive route to take in the long run and in my humble opinion, a far better way to attire yourself effectively.

Each to their own.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well, that is a perfectly legitimate point of view. The opposite view perhaps, that is a more traditional route certainly in Scotland, is stick to the one tartan of your choice and concentrate building your better accessories around it. It is a far chea... umm well, less expensive route to take in the long run and in my humble opinion, a far better way to attire yourself effectively.

Each to their own.
    Yes. I confess to owning two kilts - a "modern" and a "hunting" both of my clan. I'd barely consider others despite reason for interests in both 'clergy' (which, while I am a priest, I'm told is worn by few clergymen in Scotland, preferring their clan tartan) and Rocky's 'Dublin' (where my ancestors on the other side of the family found refuge from the Russian pogroms, a gorgeous tartan, even if it does seem like more of a recently designed sales booster.) I could also wear something with a Welsh connection thinking of my G Grandfather William Griffith, but I wear a dragon pin from time to time for him, and anyway, why spend the money on so many very expensive kilts when there are other things in life?

I am indeed a collector, but not wearing kilts daily (even if I did, I would stick to my two) my personal preference is for my modest but carefully selected collection of half a dozen sporrans which are each much less expensive than a kilt, and each change a kilt's appearance and application dramatically.

Having said all that, as Jock says: "Each to their own." I smile and shake my head in respectful amazement at the kilt collectors but our differences are what makes XMarks fascinating.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, I did suggest that traditionally we in Scotland choose one tartan, which is true we do. Most probably, a lot of us could choose one of many tartans---father's Clan is the usual choice, but one only needs to go back three or four generations and the choice of family tartans multiplies hugely and when district tartans etc. are added then we are spoiled for choice----- so those of you outwith Scotland are not the only one's with this problem! We have over the years worked out that it is better to dress in one specific tartan with nice accessories that really suit an occasion rather than cutting corners, that sadly, many on this website tend to do.

Now, I said we generally go with one tartan, but that does not necessarily mean one kilt! If we take me as an example and myClan and use Loch Carron cloth to name but one maker. I have three colour hues, modern, ancient and weathered as an immediate choice. Other cloth mills are another option with their particular colouring shades, then there is often the choice of "dress" tartans and so on and of course you can have a bespoke choice of colours(within certain parameters) and sett size which still adhere to the basic tartan. So one could have many kilts of the same Clan. Most of us don't of course for obvious financial reasons, but the opportunity to ring the changes and still stay loyal to our Clan,--------- there are also social conventions at work in Scotland too, where it is not regarded as a "proper" thing to wear tartans of other Clans----- is open to us and on the whole we use the same accessories which helps financially, no end.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st December 18 at 04:45 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my two cents:
    1. Use your genealogical research to narrow the field.
    2. Attend a Highland Games near you.
    3. Find the two or three clans to whom you may be related.
    4. Introduce yourself to the members of each clan and share your research.
    5. Decide which group you liked the most.
    6. Join that clan, purchase a kilt in their tartan.
    7. Make life-long friends.
    8. Attend the Highland Games annually, drink scotch.

Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just to be clear, I did suggest that traditionally we in Scotland choose one tartan, which is true we do. Most probably, a lot of us could choose one of many tartans---father's Clan is the usual choice, but one only needs to go back three or four generations and the choice of family tartans multiplies hugely and when district tartans etc. are added then we are spoiled for choice----- so those of you outwith Scotland are not the only one's with this problem! We have over the years worked out that it is better to dress in one specific tartan with nice accessories that really suit an occasion rather than cutting corners, that sadly, many on this website tend to do.

Now, I said we generally go with one tartan, but that does not necessarily mean one kilt! If we take me as an example and myClan and use Loch Carron cloth to name but one maker. I have three colour hues, modern, ancient and weathered as an immediate choice. Other cloth mills are another option with their particular colouring shades, then there is often the choice of "dress" tartans and so on and of course you can have a bespoke choice of colours(within certain parameters) and sett size which still adhere to the basic tartan. So one could have many kilts of the same Clan. Most of us don't of course for obvious financial reasons, but the opportunity to ring the changes and still stay loyal to our Clan,--------- there are also social conventions at work in Scotland too, where it is not regarded as a "proper" thing to wear tartans of other Clans----- is open to us and on the whole we use the same accessories which helps financially, no end.
    The inter-clan options go up even more if you belong to one like Macdonald that has numerous tartan options (macD of the isles, lord of the isles, glengarry, glencoe, ranald, etc).

I’ve always thought Jock here would look quite dashing in loud Macleod! ;)
    Though it might be a wee bit disadvantageous on the hill.
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 4th January 19 at 07:47 AM.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast