X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, no direct answer to the OP's question. No doubt because gents on this forum already have a kiltmaker. Peterman isn't marketing to folks like us. They're after the guy with some extra bucks who thinks it'd be fun to kilt up. Maybe they'll bring some converts.

I've purchased goods offered by Peterman for many years now. I've never received anything but top quality goods at a fair price. They do sell value, always with a cute story line in their catalogs.
    My minor in college was Clothing and Textiles and I grew up in cut and sew factories. The workmanship on goods from Peterman has always been perfect. Never even an Irish pennant.

But kilts without lengths and in S-M-L-XL??? Sorry, no way. When I come to that part of their catalog I read what they have to say, but have never had even a faint flicker of interest in leaving my few long trusted kiltmakers* to see what might arrive in a Peterman box. Just NFW. Pass.

I do wanna hear if anyone has ordered one up - what it turned out to be...may be a long wait for that post...

*My trusted kiltmakers be Kathy's Kilts, USA Kilts, and RKilts.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 29th December 18 at 03:11 AM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I don't know how you think I said USA Kilts is subbing out their work.
    You said in the other post: ...made in Pennsylvania. It almost sounds like this is Marton Mills material, with the kilts subcontracted through USA Kilts. Pure conjecture on my part, of course; perhaps Rocky could confirm or deny?

So that's how I got the subbing concept from your post - anyhoooo, there ya go. Maybe I miss interpreted it. Miss Interpret, by the way follows Miss Fire in the 2019 calendar...
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobinn View Post
    You said in the other post: ...made in Pennsylvania. It almost sounds like this is Marton Mills material, with the kilts subcontracted through USA Kilts. Pure conjecture on my part, of course; perhaps Rocky could confirm or deny?

So that's how I got the subbing concept from your post - anyhoooo, there ya go. Maybe I miss interpreted it. Miss Interpret, by the way follows Miss Fire in the 2019 calendar...
    OK, it looks like we have a misunderstanding on terminology. If USA Kilts were building kilts for J. Peterman, it would be J. Peterman that was subbing out its work to USA Kilts, not USA Kilts subbing out their work. What you said was that you doubted USA Kilts was subbing out their work, which would mean they were hiring someone else to build their kilts, and that is not something I ever said or implied.

And again, just so everyone understands, I was just engaging in a little "what if" with the clues in their advert. Thanks @Downunder Kilt for pointing out the other mills that put protective agents on their fabric.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, it looks like we have a misunderstanding on terminology. If USA Kilts were building kilts for J. Peterman, it would be J. Peterman that was subbing out its work to USA Kilts, not USA Kilts subbing out their work. What you said was that you doubted USA Kilts was subbing out their work, which would mean they were hiring someone else to build their kilts, and that is not something I ever said or implied.

And again, just so everyone understands, I was just engaging in a little "what if" with the clues in their advert. Thanks @Downunder Kilt for pointing out the other mills that put protective agents on their fabric.

Gotchya! I mistyped - I meant it the way you did in that USAK would be (and I agree, a little "what if" here) making kilts for Peterman. Sorry about the confusion - my fault entirely.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Maybe a dingo ate chor pladdy”

Sorry, aye couldn’t resist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first impression, also, was to wonder whether USA Kilts makes the J. Peterman kilts. My kilt was made by USAK, in Pennsylvania, and is made from 16oz teflon coated tartan (House of Edgar Nevis range) and has embossed, high quality, leather straps.

BTW, the teflon coating works very well. I've had liquid (beer, don't ask!) spilled on my kilt more than once and, each time, I literally wiped the fabric dry with a napkin/paper towel, with no staining at all.

Regardless, I'd also recommend spending the extra money to get a made to measure kilt with a greater range of tartans to choose from.
    - Steve Mitchell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12