X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Archiving personal messages

While I don't know how to do it, I know that some people archive e-mails they want to keep and delete the rest.
    I figure my provider is going to keep them anyway, so I might as well have access. I have seen references on the
    forum about archiving personal messages here, but tech section and search function reveal nothing; whether or
    not it is possible or how to do if it is. "No matches found" Is it possible? I have some I'd like to keep; box is full.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term archive is actually misleading. While it is possible to create a new folder, just like the inbox and sent messages are stored in, each member is limited to a total of 200 personal messages.
    Even if you were to move some messages into another folder which you named Archive the total would remain the same.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. So, not possible to save the ones I have and still get new.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are options to download them in CSV, XML, or plain text, if there's information that you want to keep. You can either select certain messages to download or, at the bottom of the page, you can download all personal messages, but no way to keep them on the forum if you've reached your max.
    Verbing weirds language.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TheGratefulNed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, GratefulNed. Now I just have to figure out what CSV,XML, and plain text are. Surely someone I know
    will know; several guys I play bluegrass with are computer folk. Downloading sounds like an option, just have
    to find out how to locate them again.

Explanatory note. This forum is more involvement with computers than I ever wanted. I don't own a cell phone.
    I don't want computer chips in my cars. I am a cash on the barrelhead kind of guy. During the 80s-90s design
    and development period for cells and personal computers I was getting the computer and telecom booths up
    and running on the show floors, so spent a lot of time with the engineers and VPs in charge. After initial periods of demurring, when pressed they agreed that the health repercussions and the impossibility of security would be
    biting us all in sensitive places down the road. They continued anyway. Turns out we were right. Norad hacked,
    Mossad hacked, NSA hacked, cars hacked, electrical grid hacked, EMF related health problems...... Now it is
    clear my avoidance is also biting me in various ways as well.

I must say, though, I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum. Much gratitude due to all here, especially the oversight volunteers. And many, many Brownie points somewhere to Steve.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSV (comma-separated value) and XML (eXtensible Markup Language) would usually be used if you plan to import the messages into some other program or service.

Plain text is just what it sounds like, simple text that can be opened in any notepad or word processing application. If you just want to be able to read/reference them later, plain text will be your best bet.

(I'm one of those "computer folk" )
    Verbing weirds language.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks. The first two are probably beyond me at this point. I was hoping plain text meant exactly that;
    though I have learned that the logic I learned from reading the Greeks does not always appear to be the same
    logic applied in coding and appellation of same.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post: