X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in Falkirk to see “The Wheel” make sure you see The Kelpies; and take a free tour of Callander House.... you will also see where Antonines Wall used to be
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Joe... three days... that makes it quite a challenge! A triage situation one could say, where you have to take stock of your priorities, your interests, as people have suggested.

Thinking back... I've driven around quite a bit, from the Borders to Inverness, driven across Skye and Arran, down the beautiful west coast through Fort William and Oban, stayed for a couple weeks in Glasgow with the band...

Three days...

The whole country is lovely, but if I had to name my favourites they would be Edinburgh and Skye. I don't know if that can be done in three days!

Easy to do would be Edinburgh to Stirling to Perth: wonderful castles (which we Americans love to visit) and some lovely countryside too.

But I'm interested in military history so I'm biased... Perth has the Black Watch museum

https://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/

and Stirling has wonderful Stirling Castle

https://www.stirlingcastle.scot/

which has the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders museum (closed now due to renovation).

BTW I'm very aware of the tourist v local thing, being as I work in the tourism industry in Southern California. I'm dismayed when I talk to foreign tourists who have two weeks in the USA and spend it all in Southern California. Why? There's a vast beautiful country and it ain't here in Los Angeles. Likewise I've heard Edinburgh natives express dismay at tourists flocking there.

I love Edinburgh, and Glasgow, and London, but in the main a city is a city, and it's why I've chosen to spend most of my holidays driving through the countryside, through mountains and farmland and along barren coasts.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 1st January 19 at 05:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could easily spend 3 days in the Royal Deeside...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    You could easily spend 3 days in the Royal Deeside...

Absolutely.
    Besides if you want castles, you need to come to the Northeast.
    https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do...-castle-trail/
    If you want whisky, you need to come to the Northeast.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotla...t_Whisky_Trail
    If you want a good mix of everything, come to the Northeast
    https://www.google.com/destination?q...MjAxOS0wMS0yMQ

Forget Edinburgh!

Alan

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where to start. Depends on your interests and three days are nowhere near long enough.
    If you want to see the history of border strife with the English come south and see the historic abbeys of Kelso, Jedburgh, Dryburgh and Melrose, and castles and fortified farmhouses too numerous to mention, or stroll along a sandy beach on the beautiful Solway Coast.
    Assuming though that you would be flying in/out of Glasgow or Edinburgh airports there is probably only time to see things in the central belt, such as shopping in Glasgow, or the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies as others have already mentioned. Maybe book a day trip with Rabbies of Edinburgh and venture a wee bit further afield and take a brief taster of the nearer areas of the West Highlands or the Southern Uplands.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Three days is not much time to see Scotland! However as a suggestion to give you a taste of what Scotland has to offer, scenery and sights, is to plan a trip along the main A9 road heading North towards Inverness. It will be best to hire a car, but a train could work.
    You would be passing close to the "Road to the Isles", so (if time permits), a detour to Loch Tummel and its famous "Queen's View" might be in order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's Dunkeld, Killiecrankie and Sherrifmuir which is worth a look...

Also taking a lookat some of the Pictish stones..Aberlemno is a good shot or if you are Forres way see Sueno.

Stirling Castle and the sites nearby as each has it's significant part in history, includingthelast coronation (Charles II) in Scotland...

St Andrews is also woth a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Edinburgh, take an hour or so to walk up Arthur's Seat. It's great fun to hike up a small mountain right in the city and gives a very unique perspective of the city and surrounding countryside. Another choice could be Mary King's Close: https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/ While touristy, it gives a very interesting look about what life was once like in the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Will be in Europe early summer and have about 3 days in the mother country. What are the must-sees? Would like to see a mix of countryside and city, as well as fit in a bit of shopping.

Recommendations for kilt shops/highland wear, etc. as well as restaurants to visit.
    3 days! You will really only get "a taste" of Scotland!!

I'd recommend Jock's approach. Fly to Edinburgh, take a train or rent a car to Inverness. A car let's you stop and explore a bit. You'll see many lovely villages, historical sites, the Cairngorms, Pictish stones, and also have access to distilleries. I took the train to Inverness and rented a car there. Very easy. Clava Cairns and Culloden were really worth visiting. Cawdor and Dunrobin Castles are in striking distance, if you are a castle lover. Cawdor's gardens are amazing! Durobin is a storybook castle and has an extensive Pictish stone collection (among other things, like the hawks).

See the Castle in Edinburgh, but get in the queue first thing. We happened to get breakfast early, then walked up to the castle and saw that the queue was just starting so we joined and were 3rd in line! It makes a difference on a busy day. You can get it to see things before the crowds. It's a lovely city, but I enjoyed my time in Wick, Orkney, Aviemore, Portree, and Foggieloan as much or more.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're in the central belt would recommend Linlithgow Palace and Stirling, both easy trips from Edinburgh or Glasgow by train. Stirling of course has the castle and Bannockburn and The Wallace Monument are both close by - also easily combined with Falkirk - historic Callander House is worth a visit and "the wheel" is cool especially if you like engineering. Whatever you do I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    To the King over the water

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast