X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AbernethyCameron View Post
    If you're in the central belt would recommend Linlithgow Palace and Stirling, both easy trips from Edinburgh or Glasgow by train. Stirling of course has the castle and Bannockburn and The Wallace Monument are both close by - also easily combined with Falkirk - historic Callander House is worth a visit and "the wheel" is cool especially if you like engineering. Whatever you do I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    Don’t forget the Kelpies ;)
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to fflex For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    It really depends on your personal interests.

The primary reason I go is that I am a kilt maker. So my suppliers, the fabric mills and other kilt makers are always the first on my list. I wanted to experience the Pakistani tat shops on the Royal Mile for myself.
    Of course I wore my kilt, because I am a kilt maker, but also to see the reaction from the locals. (It was not favorable although I could have probably paid for the trip posing for photos with other tourists wanting their picture with a guy in a kilt.)

I'm also an Engineer so the Falkirk Wheel the Forth Bridge and Hadrian's wall were high on my list.
    I wanted to see Glenfinnan viaduct but not because of "Harry Potter". I wanted to see Roslyn Chapel but not because of "The DaVinci Code".

I had no real desire to see the standard tourist spots. The Tattoo was never on my list.
    I had no desire to visit Culloden or any other Clan sites. Instead I spent time in small local pubs listening to today's Scots.

I spent way too much time (according to my wife) in museums.

And I got to meet with other X Markers who I had only known by name.
    Aye-Aye to the Falkirk Wheel--easily one of the most beautiful Heavy Civil works ever, in my opinion. It's fitting that it's not far from Hadrian's Wall-given his passion for engineering and architecture, he surely would have loved it too.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DyerStraits View Post
    Aye-Aye to the Falkirk Wheel--easily one of the most beautiful Heavy Civil works ever, in my opinion. It's fitting that it's not far from Hadrian's Wall-given his passion for engineering and architecture, he surely would have loved it too.
    Antonines wall runs through Falkirk, you can see it when you go to Callander House (free admission)
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to fflex For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you only have three days - being based around Edinburgh probably makes most sense. My must sees would be the Castle or Holyrood (probably a bit too much of the same thing to do both), hit a few local pubs (The Bow Bar, close to the Royal Mile is a favourite) and take a walk up Arthur's Seat or Calton Hill for great views of the city - but there is a ton of other stuff to see and do.

As others have posted both Stirling and Falkirk are close by with a host of historical and cultural sites if you want to see more than just Edinburgh. Stirling Castle is a good alternative to it's Edinburgh counterpart and Bannockburn is near by. Falkirk offers the wheel, the Kelpies and parts of a Roman fort (amongst other things). If you are an Outlander fan many of the filming locations are also close by, including Culross, Blackness Castle, Hopetoun Hall and Linlithgow Palace.

It's easy enough to get out into the countryside from here - Loch Lomond and the Trossachs aren't far from Stirling, with Loch Katherine and the Falls of Falloch both being about an hour or so's drive (longer if you want to do both) - or you could head North from Edinburgh into Perthshire and the Cairngorms following the A9.

Your best bet is to rent a car - but there are plenty of tour companies offering day trips and some 2 or 3 day tours from Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I wouldn't suggest going further-a-field, unless you can extend your stay to 5 or 7 days - in which case it's worth taking in the Great Glen, Glencoe, Mull or Skye or heading North.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fflex View Post
    Don’t forget the Kelpies ;)
    Of course, Kelpies too - although I've been many times, I've always been cold there even in summer!
    To the King over the water

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highlight for me was Ben Nevis. It is the highest summit in the UK but is quite accessible with proper footwear and gear. My knees were killing on the way down but well worth it. A walking/hiking pole was an excellent aid. The way down was slower due to my bad knees, which I accounted for in my timing. I did notice quite a number of people who were ill prepared with ill fitting, inappropriate footwear and inadequate clothing as weather can change quickly. I went late in the day which was nice because it was less crowded on the way down but I was pushing the envelope for daylight. I actually slowed down and made the rest of the descent with a couple that I had caught up with that were struggling due to the fact that one was wearing rubber boots. They weren't going to make it before sundown and had no flashlight so I lent them one (two is one and one is none) of mine and made our way down together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130962...posted-public/

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very nice post there, Tomo.

On the other hand, can anyone watch this and not be filled with a longing to see the West Highlands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVgQflnioa8

I've not taken that train but I've driven that road, and it's my favourite part of Scotland.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of good suggestions. Join us for Burns supper and we can give you our take on your situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 30 days in Scotland and still didn't have enough time to see everything I wanted to see. I am planning another trip for 2020. I just want to say that you will go back again. Maybe you will even go back two or three times for good measure. The country is beautiful, the people are genuine, I couldn't find anything to complain about.

My favorite place was quite possibly the Isle of Skye. If you have to see anything in Scotland, I say, "See all of it". You won't be disappointed.

If you are in Portree, visit the Lower Deck restaurant on the pier and order the Cuillen Skink. The best soup I have ever had by far.

Edinburgh is quite possibly my favorite city in the world.

Don't muck up the place like other tourists. Be respectful and leave things looking the way they did when you came. Don't start stacking up a little cairn to say that you were there and leave your mark.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Curtis Bias For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Bias View Post
    I spent 30 days in Scotland and still didn't have enough time to see everything I wanted to see. I am planning another trip for 2020. I just want to say that you will go back again. Maybe you will even go back two or three times for good measure. The country is beautiful, the people are genuine, I couldn't find anything to complain about.

My favorite place was quite possibly the Isle of Skye. If you have to see anything in Scotland, I say, "See all of it". You won't be disappointed.

If you are in Portree, visit the Lower Deck restaurant on the pier and order the Cuillen Skink. The best soup I have ever had by far.

Edinburgh is quite possibly my favorite city in the world.

Don't muck up the place like other tourists. Be respectful and leave things looking the way they did when you came. Don't start stacking up a little cairn to say that you were there and leave your mark.
    Apart from avoiding Edinburgh at all costs, I agree with much of what you say.

To the OP.

I don't want to depress anyone, but I have travelled Scotland extensively, including many remote areas, over a fairly long life and I still find interesting sights and items that lurk often unseen and often unknown by the wider population, so three days will not even scratch the surface! However, it might just give you a taster for returning for a much longer visit.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

19. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast