X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Argyll And Sutherland Officer's Dirk

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and hoping i can get some info on my Argyll and Sutherland officer's dirk from you guys?

Long story short.... my dad passed away in 2002 and left me a military collection, I think this caught his eye because his mum was an Argyll and that we have lived in wales all our lives so i think the three feathers on the blade was also the deal breaker.

Here are some pics for you all to have a look at and if anyone can help or point me in the right direction as to the initials on the blade or anything else regarding it, i would really appreciate it!

You guys love our local small town (Neath) every year the place is rammed when the rugby's on and what great nights they are too with a brilliant atmosphere.... the girls love a good peak too! Haha

Nick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pictures showing here yet. It’s a bit tricky, but would you like to try again and if it still doesn’t work, we’ll try to walk you through it.

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you found the weapons forum Nick. A photo would be the best start for others to explore your dirk. Usually, the size of the photo is responsible for not being able to post. There is a tutorial that will help you.

I await patiently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics

Sorry guys unless i can upload pics off my phone i won't be able to upload? I have already compressed the files so that's probably why they are not showing?

Nick.
    Last edited by NickB; 2nd January 19 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Adding words

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the tutorial. See if it works. If not... there are perhaps other ways.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...s_faq_pictures

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to NickB For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an odd quirk of the forum, where people are uploading photos and they don't appear in the thread. But they are there, and can be accessed from the main page of the subforum by clicking the little paperclip icon to the right of the thread title. This opens up a separate window with links to each attachment.

Right-clicking the link for each photo and copying the links, these can then be pasted into the "insert image" tool above the reply area (Note: the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option must be deselected for it to work; otherwise it will say the image is invalid). It's a laborious process to copy and insert all the URLs, but it's the backdoor approach to making them show up in a thread.

These are his dirk photos.

11. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks Tobus

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's wonderful.

I love the sophisticated carving to the dirk handle, the little bits of serration showing. I can't recall seeing any modern dirk like that.

Also cool are the small knife and fork being held by sprung latches rather than by chains.

I love the sea-beast (each uisge "eck oosh-kah") motif.

I used to have one just like it, years ago. I swapped a set of pipes for it.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd January 19 at 02:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast