X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prince Charles at Iolaire remembrance

Taken from news reports of the remembrance of the Iolaire disaster.

charles_iolaire.jpg
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad that a member of the Royal Family was present. No flapping windsock-esque flashes there!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smashing.

Since they appear to be military service medals, any ideas as to why that gent is wearing them on the right side?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    Smashing.

Since they appear to be military service medals, any ideas as to why that gent is wearing them on the right side?
    Its the way we over here wear medals(of a relative usually) that he himself did not earn and makes it very plain to observers that he did not. I don't know in this case, but as they are actually WW1 medals and as the ceremony was to commemorate a disaster of that time then I suspect the gentleman in the picture might have had a relative connected to the event. Whoever the gentleman who actually won the medals was, he was a brave man.He won the Military Cross(a gallantry medal) and fought right through WW1.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd January 19 at 10:29 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the articles I saw in various newspapers identified anyone else in the photos beyond Ms Sturgeon and Prince Charles.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another view of Prince Charles.

Question: Is the flag-bearer wearing a kilt? It looks like they have hose and maybe flashes poking out the sides but if that is a kilt, it doesn’t appear to be tartan. The photo is low res unfortunately.
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 3rd January 19 at 12:21 PM.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Here is another view of Prince Charles.

Question: Is the flag-bearer wearing a kilt? It looks like they have hose and maybe flashes poking out the sides but if that is a kilt, it doesn’t appear to be tartan. The photo is low res unfortunately.
    I think the "flashes" are something sticking out in the background, if you look at a closer picture the are no flashes. By the looks of it the flag bearer of the British Legion is a female and as such would not be expected to wear the kilt, but would be expected to wear a sober skirt.Particularly in the ultra conservative area of the Western Isles.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd January 19 at 01:26 PM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock; I'd not taken a close look. Thanks for the info in which they are. Impressive.

I thought that might be the case. Wearing a deceased relative's medals at commemorative ceremonies can be a bit contentious in Canada due to the wording of the Law and from the Chancellor of Honours. Both are, of course, worded to deter persons from impersonating service personnel/veterans. No provisions for wear by descendants of the deceased. I'm sure it is still done by some descendants, and they would get my support.

Some great "guides" to wear of kilt and accessories in those photos. I don't think even HRH's tailor could have me look that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    Jock; I'd not taken a close look. Thanks for the info in which they are. Impressive.

I thought that might be the case. Wearing a deceased relative's medals at commemorative ceremonies can be a bit contentious in Canada due to the wording of the Law and from the Chancellor of Honours. Both are, of course, worded to deter persons from impersonating service personnel/veterans. No provisions for wear by descendants of the deceased. I'm sure it is still done by some descendants, and they would get my support.

Some great "guides" to wear of kilt and accessories in those photos. I don't think even HRH's tailor could have me look that good.
    Surely the conventionfor the British Isles carries across toCanada? It's always been accepted practice for an individual to wear a relative's medals as long as they do not try to pass them off as their own and wear them on the right side rather than the left?...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allan,
    It does..kinda. Not many are aware and it is not published in any manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast