X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bagpipe humour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bagpipe humour!

😂😂😂😂😂Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190102-203804_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	36055

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to rsvpiper For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or not nearly enough!!!
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A comment I heard years ago. What's the definition of perfect pitch? One tosses the accordion into the bin and it lands on top of the bagpipes.
    Last edited by Brian Rose; 3rd January 19 at 09:36 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    A comment I heard years ago. Whats the definition of perfect pitch? One tosses the accordion into the bin and it lands on top of the bagpipes.
    I usually hear that one with the accordion landing on a banjo. As a banjo player myself, I take solace in the fact that the average person dislikes the banjo only slightly less than they dislike bagpipes. I happen to love them both, but don't have the lungs for the pipes.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I happen to love them both, but don't have the lungs for the pipes.
    It's interesting that people make the presumption that you've got to have superior "lung power" to play the pipes. Far from it. The bag is a reservoir for the air that drives the reeds. All you have to do is breathe normally and exhale into the bag to refill the reservoir. If your set-up is air-efficient, you don't have to breathe hard at all. There are many top-level pipers that are also smokers (some up to two or more packs a day! ).

The difficulty in learning to play the pipes is simply developing the coordination between blowing, squeezing and moving one's fingers (later you add in marching in time, watching where you're walking, and remembering the tunes you've - hopefully - memorized).

Re the OP: hadn't heard/read that one before.
    John

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    It's interesting that people make the presumption that you've got to have superior "lung power" to play the pipes. Far from it. The bag is a reservoir for the air that drives the reeds. All you have to do is breathe normally and exhale into the bag to refill the reservoir.
    I've never seen a piper breathe normally when piping! They all look like their heads are about to explode, with their cheeks puffed out and their necks straining. Sometimes they pass out. As I understand it, inflating the bag isn't the hard part. It's squeezing the bag to create enough pressure to drive the drones and their reeds, and then keeping a range of pressure (i.e. overcoming it with each blow) with one's lungs that's the issue.

I bought a practise chanter from a fellow XMTS member several years ago and tried it for a few weeks. Even that was more than I wanted to do. I am a smoker, but used to play brass instruments when I was younger (baritone, tuba). I just don't care for sustained blowing into an instrument these days, though I respect those who do! I'll stick with my plucked, frailed, and bowed instruments that I can play while I smoke, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bagpipe humor

I once attended a police training class with an instructor who was a fellow piper [I competed against him once or twice]. He started the class by asking what does bigfoot and a well tuned bagpipe have in common? - Both are rarely seen and if seen only for a fleeting second!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen a piper breathe normally when piping! They all look like their heads are about to explode, with their cheeks puffed out and their necks straining.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pictures+o...-Gillespie.jpg

Like this?

I just don't care for sustained blowing into an instrument these days, though I respect those who do! I'll stick with my plucked, frailed, and bowed instruments that I can play while I smoke, LOL.
    And if you ever get to the Atlanta area, please consider jumping into a jam with us. Although you'll have to smoke
    outside, our jams often happen in restaurants, which by law are smoke free.

OK, once again, I have failed to comprehend how to properly insert a link into a quote without making it look like part of the quote.
    But you get the picture.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 4th January 19 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hrnk.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	36091

Then there's this guy's neck, which is enough to keep me far away from bagpipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHboHVe9Nyo
    I believe myself to be always operating within reasonable boundaries of sanity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually hear that one with the accordion landing on a banjo. As a banjo player myself, I take solace in the fact that the average person dislikes the banjo only slightly less than they dislike bagpipes. I happen to love them both, but don't have the lungs for the pipes.
    I play the pipes and would wonder which the order of dislike would be among: bagpipes, accordion and banjo. BTW, one of my favorite tunes by the Austin Lounge Lizards is "Banjo Players in Heaven." Features solo and ensemble banjo parts in the tune. The line that always brings a grin is "It's hard to find a banjo player up in Heaven, there's somethings even Jesus won't forgive."

JMB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast