X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing the Youtube links, I've always enjoyed throat singing and have wondered how difficult it is to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I believe the bowed instrument he's playing is a Morin khuur, otherwise known as a horsehead fiddle. It's a traditional Mongolian instrument that pairs well with the bagpipes, in terms of the way it's played with a drone to accompany the melody. (Side note: this is one of the reasons I was drawn to playing traditional fiddle music to begin with. I love the sound of double-stops and drone strings.)
    This comment has me wondering if a hurdy gurdy wouldn't also pair well with pipes...

Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    The underslung drones caught my eye as well. Many areas have their own version of pipes, and since the clip says it's
    drums and pipe music from Latvia, perhaps these are a local variant?
    Toward the bottom of the Wikipedia page on bagpipes there are pictures of a number of different country/region variations. Several of the Eastern European versions have drones pointing down or out to the side.
    Verbing weirds language.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGratefulNed View Post
    Thanks for sharing the Youtube links, I've always enjoyed throat singing and have wondered how difficult it is to learn.
    It's a two to five minute lesson. Then lots of practice. Like any instrument, for most people the amount of
    time to accomplish much with the voice can be daunting or depressing. On the bright side, if I can pull it off,
    anyone can. Above, Tarheel alluded to the beneficial effects; I'm convinced that if I hadn't taken the time with
    overtones, I would not still be walking. So for me, a good investment.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGratefulNed View Post
    This comment has me wondering if a hurdy gurdy wouldn't also pair well with pipes..
    It does! I played in a medieval ensemble for a while this year and we had both pipes and hurdy gudry, and they were super cool together.
    Cheers!
    Bob

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medieval ensemble? How great is that? My experience of medieval instruments is limited to working performances
    of same, predating my participation as a performer. I recall both the instruments and the music as somehow wilder
    and more visceral than much of the later music. Could be just time and memory,though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12