X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contemporary Tailors

Hello

I would like to get a tartan a-line skirt made for my partner that she could wear to work. Canadian option preferred or one that would ship to Canada.

Her mom has sent me a design that she thinks is a winner, so preferably a tailor that takes on custom projects would be preferred.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animatronic Fireman View Post
    Hello

I would like to get a tartan a-line skirt made for my partner that she could wear to work. Canadian option preferred or one that would ship to Canada.

Her mom has sent me a design that she thinks is a winner, so preferably a tailor that takes on custom projects would be preferred.

Thanks
    Where are you located in Canada?
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to fflex For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Saskatoon - I know there is a custom kilt maker here but she only makes traditional ones.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try the Scottish Company in Toronto they did my Wildcat Tartan jacket and waistcoat and were very happy to take my ideas into consideration.

https://scottishcompany.com
    Last edited by McMurdo; 11th January 19 at 04:09 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inasmuch as you are looking to have a fairly standard women's skirt made - just in tartan fabric. I would suggest any reputable seamstress should be able to replicate the design for you, if you have the fabric. indeed it might be worthwhile to speak with them beforehand, as the weight of the fabric might be an important consideration.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a hint.

Just because you want the skirt made from Tartan does not mean that the best person to seek out is a kilt maker.

May I suggest that you seek out a local dress maker. Inquire if they are comfortable making the style you want, and ask if they are comfortable aligning plaids. Some are and some prefer not to.

But a kilt can weight up to 4 pounds. It has internal construction elements not visible due to being hidden behind the inner liner. Most women would prefer something made like a skirt.

I am a kilt maker but not a dress maker. The two are made totally differently and require different techniques and knowledge base.

For example this is a ladies Tartan kilted skirt offered by Burnett's & Struth, one of our advertisers. It may look similar to a kilt in as much as it has pleats in the back and flat aprons in the front but it is not a kilt. It is made like a ladies skirt.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 10th January 19 at 12:13 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remembered a thread by our member @Catharps. Here it is. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...88/index3.html

Her first post will give you some ideas (via photos) of different styles of skirt in tartan material. I hope you find a tailor/seamstress soon to obtain the item for your lady. Keep us updated please.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the fabric goes, my wife has made several tartan skirts and dresses. Those from the heavyweight tartans weigh quite a bit and are less popular with her than those she made from the 13 oz. tartan which we had woven. The Marton Mills Poly Viscose tartan also works quite well and is surprisingly nice cloth as a non-wool option - especially in summer weather.

photos of some of them

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uord71jeg8...stuff.jpg?dl=0

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Todd. I noticed than many of your old photos were lost in the former problem with that "photo storage" place. I'm glad you added a few clips for us.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, my ISP used to give us some free storage space and recently canned that program. Before that it was Photobucket, which decided last year to charge a bundle for space they had previously been providing for free, and before that it was Imagestation, which kicked us all off of their system a while earlier. With Dropbox I can post photos, video and music demos - but we'll see how long they last.

I haven't had good luck posting images directly to the forum here in the past, but we'll see if I can get it figured out with the help of the FAQ.

p.s I just mailed a big hunk of this tweed to Barb T. and before long it is likely to result in something really nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqeshwv0or...ather.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 11th January 19 at 02:48 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast