X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns Supper / Dinner

The Supper / Dinner distinction is lost on my Masonic Lodge as everything Masonic follows a strict ritual anyway, even pancake breakfasts. :P

We have the gamut of formality every year, including the dreaded pirate shirts and one Brother who always dresses like an extra from Braveheart. Most of the brethren involved in planning and executing the event, however, tend to be in kilt, formal or mask sporran (horsehair if they're in the pipe band), and black PC with waistcoat or shiny belt plate.
    Clans: Armstrong and Guthrie on Father's side.
    Other heritage: Mostly German and some Polish on Mother's side.
    Kilts: One badly-sewn Armstrong modern budget kilt.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    And, of course, if you happen to be a Glaswegian then a “Hen do(o)” is a female pigeon, doo being the name there for a pigeon.
    Reading an earlier post I wondered about the “Highlandisation” of the infantry you mentioned as I know regiments such as the KOSB always wore kilts as a lowland and borders regiment with their headquarters in Berwick on Tweed in England.
    The KOSB did not wear the kilt until banded together with the 1st of Foot in the RRS except for obviously pipers. What makes you say they always wore the Kilt!!??!!...

Many Lowland Regiments did in the 19thC & 20thC wear tartan, but they were trews not the kilt.

However certain Lowland Regiments did have Highland battalions such as the 1st of Foot's Dandy Ninth.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 29th January 19 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This - https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...istory-meaning - might help to clarify for you. Essentially at one time dinner was the main meal of the day taken at midday and supper was a meal taken in the evening. In Burns’ time the evening meal, which is what is a Burns supper would have been called just that - a supper.
    The term Dinner is still used for Lunch in some areas although it is stigmatised as being 'common', with Tea used for the evening meal and supper for any intake later at night prior to bed.

However supper also has certain applications such as a fish supper (Fish & Chips from a take away).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    The KOSB did not wear the kilt until banded together with the 1st of Foot in the RRS except for obviously pipers. What makes you say they always wore the kilt.
    I can only repeat what a grandparent recounted about wearing a kilt in the trenches of the Somme in WWI and how it was heavy and never dried out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only repeat what a grandparent recounted about wearing a kilt in the trenches of the Somme in WWI and how it was heavy and never dried out.
    Well it would suggest you may have got the wrong regiment or that they had a kilted battalion (not found wbout that online unlike the Royal Scots 'Dandy Ninth' or that they were originally with a kilted regiment and got transferred to the Kosbies to reinforce them in the line, or they wrre a piper?). The Kosbies uniform has never been a kilt, until the RRS amalgamation with the 1st. The Kosbies did have tartan trews, but all images of them from ww1 are in trousers and puttees. There are images of the Kosbies online from formation through to the end of the regiment and with the exception of the pipers none depict kilts and the Kosbies were dressed as per any other line regiment prior to the mid 19thc and as per other lowland regiments after that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest as you may, I can only recount the words told to me by a soldier who served in Gallipoli, the Somme and elsewhere during the 1914-18 conflict. His medals are in the KOSB museum in Berwick and I am not inclined to disbelieve him. But, of course, you may know better......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest as you may, I can only recount the words told to me by a soldier who served in Gallipoli, the Somme and elsewhere during the 1914-18 conflict. His medals are in the KOSB museum in Berwick and I am not inclined to disbelieve him. But, of course, you may know better......
    Certainly not disputing his bravery or accomplishments or experience. I am simply saying that if he wore a kilt there is more to the story than you have said. You haven't said was he a piper?

If you visited the museum did you see any image of kilted members excepting the pipers or the modern RRS amalgamated battalion?

Don't believe me, google the King's own Scottish Borderers uniforms. You will only see pipers in kilts. You will also see angry responses from the regiment when they were amalgamated with the 1st and put into kilts.

I know that sometimes men enlist with one regiment then get transferred so that's a possible other explanation?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234