X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    And, of course, Burns himself encapsulated that sentiment so eloquently in “A man’s a man for a that” -

“What though on hamely fare we dine,
    Wear hoddin grey, an’ a that;
    Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
    A Man’s a Man for a’ that:
    For a’ that, and a’ that,
    Their tinsel show, an’ a’ that;
    The honest man, tho’ e’er sae poor,
    Is king o’ men for a’ that.”
    Precisely what I was thinking as I was typing. My mother often quoted Burns in her attempts to survive my childhood.
    A small part of all she gave, but treasured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for advice.

Well Father Bill thank you, thinking of going with the grey tweed and go from there. Edinsteve thanks for the input, I do realise that Burns was a lowlander but the guys & lasses expect me to wear the kilt and I thank you for the good luck.
    Regards
    Dirk95

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dirk95 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlemalt View Post
    ...our farming neighbours in eastern Ontario called it dinner...it was the largest meal of the day often a big roast of beef or chicken followed by fresh made pies and deserts. As evening arrived there was a light meal "supper" of leftovers...
    Exactly as I remember it as a little kid in West Virginia, but our family only did that on Sunday. The main meal was after Church, around 1pm or 2pm, with the light supper of leftovers shortly before bedtime. (Which came early for us, because everyone was up at 5am every day.)

Saturday for some reason was a more ordinary lunch and dinner thing, as I recall.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been to a Burns supper where anyone was kilted...
    As you've probably seen the Lowland/Highland distinction is generally not known about over here in the States. Kilts are perceived as the Scottish National Dress and everyone trots out their Highland finery for Burns Suppers. It's generally black Prince Charlies for all, fly plaids and brooches and dirks and lace everywhere.

I went against the grain years ago and wore tweed. I was the only kilted person not in full Evening regalia. (I had to be in kilts- I'm the piper!)

I have noticed a trend of slowly Highland-izing the rest of Scotland over the years. A big step (it seems to me) was putting the entire Scottish infantry, Highland and Lowland alike, into Highland Dress. I've heard this was strongly resisted in some quarters.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one with probably the least experience in these matters, I was surprised to see so many people saying to make it more casual. Every Address to the Haggis I've watched on YouTube, everyone was in PCs with fly plaids. I came away with the impression that a Burns Supper was a black-tie affair.
    I believe myself to be always operating within reasonable boundaries of sanity.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbuMaia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past when I used to go to a Burns "do" locally in this part of the Highlands it was just more of an excuse to pop out for a wee dram and no one dressed formally or even bothered to don the kilt. Nowadays it seems as though its turned---hijacked even--- into an excuse for a more formal do.

As to the supper/dinner thing I think for at least my lifetime(nearly 80 years) one dresses for dinner(formal) and one goes dressed smartly to supper( that varied----suit, sports jacket, pullover---- depending on the circumstance of ones host and here, local knowledge was helpful).The terminology was/is a very useful guide to what attire was/is required.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th January 19 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Don't type when guests arrive!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the word "do", for our Americans who might not be familiar, in Britain you have a thing called a Hen Do which may be puzzling until you find out that there's also a thing called a Stag Do.

(Hen Do: Bridesmaids' Party)

I was introduced to "Hen Do" on a trip to Scotland when I read an article in The Scotsman about pending legislation to ban or restrict them.

The article described bands of drunken rowdy girls who would take trains from the South up to Edinburgh and leave a wake of destruction (train cars, hotel rooms, etc).

I see Hen Do's every day at work. They wear matching t-shirts saying "Bride" "Maid Of Honor" and "Bridesmaid" and are well behaved. (Mostly.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th January 19 at 05:29 AM.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "What do you call a pigeon that goes to Switzerland for its holidays? "
    "A sgian dubh."

("doo" is "dove")

Alan

15. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuing hopelessly off-topic!
    "doo" has been used throughout Scotland at least since 1200 for a pigeon.
    Often as a term of affection e.g. in Orkney "ma peerie doo" = my wee dove
    We also have a "cushie doo" or just a "cushie" = a wood pigeon
    A "doo's cleckin" = twins (there are always two eggs in a rock dove brood)
    A "causey doo" = street (causeway) dove - sweet in public but a pain at home
    A "doo lander" = a wide brimmed cap

Alan

17. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for advice.

Swerving back towards the topic, a Burns supper usually follows a set pattern with the address to the haggis, immortal memmory, reply for the lassies etc. and as such tends to be a tad more formal than just a “do” which infers more of an ad hoc informal get together.
    Yes there is planning in hand for the evening, but as I said it's of a more relaxed feel to it also this is a lodge social evening so as we dress for lodge ie ( dinner suits and bow ties/ tuxs) powers at be decided to make it smart casual. I agree with Jock that dinner is more formal and supper casual dress hence the tweed jacket and waistcoat, plus I've got a proper black tie dinner the following evening so for that pc and bow tie, my wife will be attending both evenings. I do think times have changed I remember dinner was 12-00 noon and supper was around 17-00, but now it seems lunch at 12 and dinner at 17-00 have taken over.

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dirk95 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast