X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for advice.

Hi All.
    I'm going to a Burns night supper not a dinner, and I've been asked to address the haggis which will mean I'll be the focus of attention. Any suggestions of what will appropriate, the dress code smart casual ( sports jacket & trousers):-
    my choices are as follows.
    KILT :- Black Watch, or Hunting McGregor both in modern colours.
    JACKET :- a BBSB Argyll or Charcoal Grey tweed day jacket both with 5 button waistcoats/vest.
    SPORRAN:- Black leather day with leather strap, Black seal semi formal & chain, or Black seal full dress & chain.
    SHIRT:- Pale blue or White button down.
    HOSE :- Burgundy, Black, lovett Green, Tartan Green, Navy Blue.
    TIE :- Regimental Black Watch, or Navy Blue wool.
    FLASHES :- Tartan Red, Tartan Green, or garter ties in autumn Gold, or Heather.
    I will be wearing Black brogues and a sgian duh. looking forward to your suggestions, plus the night should be really good.
    Regards
    Dirk95

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally sounds good, except I'd opt for a tweed jacket if you have it available to you - more in tune with the general dress code and "supper" arrangement. If you don't have it - perhaps even a jumper or just no jacket. No need to over-gild the lily.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for the UK but lots of kilts evident at Burns Suppers here in Canada. I agree with Father Bill. If I had the option I would tone it down a bit with either a tweed jacket or even just a sweater. Kind of reflects better the bards egalitarian views and humble roots.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Singlemalt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirk,
    Ah, but is it you who will be the focus or will it be the haggis?

If dress is smart casual, then it would be appropriate to keep that in mind with your kilted attire also. Staying smart casual makes for a more relaxed and comfortable evening for you also.

One of the best addresses I've ever heard: I know he was kilted and not dressy at all, but I couldn't tell you exactly. It was his delivery that I will remember.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd include one piece of clothing you don't mention. Include an extra kerchief, as the beast you are addressing is known for excretions. It would be a shame to bare the stains of a mishap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk95 View Post
    I'm going to a Burns night supper not a dinner
    What exactly is the difference between a supper and a dinner? Where I was raised, those were generally interchangeable terms for the evening meal. Though I vaguely recall some older people referring to the mid-day meal as supper (what almost everyone else called lunch).
    Verbing weirds language.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to TheGratefulNed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or the other side of the coin:

KILT :- Black Watch, or Hunting McGregor both in modern colours.
    JACKET :- a BBSB Argyll with 5 button waistcoats/vest.
    SPORRAN:-Black seal semi formal & chain, or Black seal full dress & chain.
    SHIRT:- White button down.
    TIE:- Regimental
    HOSE :- Any
    FLASHES :- Any
    I will be wearing Black brogues and a sgian duh. Fine.

As you will be the center of attention, there is nothing wrong with going a little over the top. If you went to see Frank Sinatra in concert, he was usually wearing a tuxedo even though the audience was completely casual. It's part of the show.

Just my two cents.
    Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    This - https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...istory-meaning - might help to clarify for you. Essentially at one time dinner was the main meal of the day taken at midday and supper was a meal taken in the evening. In Burns’ time the evening meal, which is what is a Burns supper would have been called just that - a supper.
    I love these insights into local culture. In my own home we called the mid-day meal lunch but I do recall many of our farming neighbours in eastern Ontario called it dinner. I worked on these farms during the busy calving and haying seasons. In those homes it was the largest meal of the day often a big roast of beef or chicken followed by fresh made pies and deserts. Then the old folks settled into a brief nap or "lie down" after "dinner" then were up and working hard until milking was done and the cows and other livestock were put away for the night. As evening arrived there was a light meal "supper" of leftovers for the people before bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, EdinSteve. It was probably dinner that they called the mid-day meal and not supper.
    Verbing weirds language.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In south Georgia, growing up in the late 40s and 50s, we ate breakfast, then dinner, and much later, supper.
    We also wore brogans and galluses and warded off rain with bumbershoots.

When I am called upon to present the address, I consider the haggis to be the center and more particularly
    the focus of the group's attention. I am not interested in being that. I wear a clergy kilt, blue shirt (not a
    button down), tie, gray or blue lightweight sweater (jumper), HOC hose with tied garters. Others might be in a
    black PC, a Jacobite period outfit, Saxon suit, or slacks with or without a jacket or tie. All in the same room.
    My clothing reflects my choices and has nothing to do with Rabbie. I am not honoring the fact that he was
    born in Ayrshire, I am honoring the fact that he had a tremendous gift with words and a deep understanding that
    appearance and station in life are not the value of someone. That value is in who one has chosen to become.
    And that person, taken in whole, warts and all, has value.

It has been a while and a half since I trod the boards and a fair while since I stood in front of a classroom or
    at a conference podium, but I am comfortable still with not needing to dazzle or impress. My job is to share
    information in such a way that folk find it helpful and remember it. And hopefully, reasonably enjoyable. Their
    need to judge me (or not) is not my problem. I give it my best shot and move on.

My other job always is to discern the value in any and all I encounter, not to judge them by where and how
    I grew up and/or how most would perceive their ability to color within the lines.

Fair use note: the question was advice. The above is less advice than personal opinion. Not to be confused with
    How Things Are Done In Polite Society.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 11th January 19 at 05:55 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast