X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Would red kilt hose overpower the kilt?

My wife gave me a kilt for Christmas (my first kilt). It's an off-the-rack Spirit of the Highlander kilt from UT Kilts. From what I have read, colored kilt hose can match any color in the tartan (in this case, black, gray or red). However, the kilt has very little color, and I'm most likely to wear it with neutral colored shirts, waistcoat, etc. Would red hose (like these) overpower the kilt? I already have black hose (and red flashes).

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just me thinking out loud, but I might do a claret / dark burgandy or grey hose, BUT to answer your question, it could work.

I say go for it... and own it!
    #beamaker

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to inebrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With experience, you will find that a wide variety of hose colors will work with any specific tartan. Red can be bold, but that's OK. You're already wearing a tartan kilt, which is bold, so don't be afraid to go for it.

My own tartan is very red and I have worn red kilt hose on many occasions. I have received nothing but compliments. I have also had good responses wearing green, claret/maroon, tan, and hose with more than one color in the pattern (argyle hose and hose with "fancy tops").

Give it a try and see how you like it. And have fun!

Andrew

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really any color hose will work, especially with a gray kilt like that. I'd avoid limiting myself.

However, I do like red hose however and they'd bring out the dark red stripe in your tartan.

Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Red hose I like very much.
    christmas2018.jpgimage00000221.jpeg
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Color Hose to Wear?

In situations like this, I tend to match the kilt hose with my shirt color. For instance today I am wearing the Home modern tartan, which is navy blue and black with red stripes. I am wearing a khaki colored shirt with matching hose and red wool flashes.

When I wear the same kilt with a burgundy shirt, I switch my hose out to burgundy with navy blue flashes.
    RC Anderson, Ph.D. WH6FQE
    Board Member - Saint Andrew Society of Hawaii and the Hawaiian Scottish Association
    Member - Caledonian Society of Hawaii
    Radio Relay International DTN Pacific Region Hub

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RCAnderson For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other way of thinking about this issue is that there no written rules that say the hose MUST match any color of the kilt at all.

Today we look at the color coordination of the entire outfit. Many of us are of the opinion that the kilt should be the centerpiece of the outfit and should be allowed to stand on its own.
    If you build the colors of the outfit around the colors of the kilt there is the chance of the kilt blending in with the background.

In this photo I am wearing hose color coordinated with my shirt. There is no brown in this kilt at all. And it works.

So my advice is to put the outfit on and look in a mirror. Does the whole outfit work together? Do the colors fit your personal style and fashion sense? If yes, then wear it.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red or claret house would go just fine with that kilt. And no, your hose needn't match a color in the kilt. Some of the best combinations happen when they don't.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find a good photo, but Steve's is just what I am talking about. I rarely match my hose to the kilt, more times than not I match to the shirt I am wearing tying everything else together and letting the kilt stand apart.
    RC Anderson, Ph.D. WH6FQE
    Board Member - Saint Andrew Society of Hawaii and the Hawaiian Scottish Association
    Member - Caledonian Society of Hawaii
    Radio Relay International DTN Pacific Region Hub

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RCAnderson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    My wife gave me a kilt for Christmas (my first kilt). It's an off-the-rack Spirit of the Highlander kilt from UT Kilts. From what I have read, colored kilt hose can match any color in the tartan (in this case, black, gray or red). However, the kilt has very little color, and I'm most likely to wear it with neutral colored shirts, waistcoat, etc. Would red hose (like these) overpower the kilt? I already have black hose (and red flashes).

Thanks.
    Go big or go home. I think red hose would definitely pull out the red in the kilt. My vote is "yes".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast