X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

EdinSteve is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chief of Clan Ranald

It seems that Reginald, the chief of Clan Ranald was more interested in enriching himself than the welfare of his clan - https://lenathehyena.wordpress.com/2...undrel-lairds/ -
    and it possibly does throw into some light the reason why the romanticism about clans and chiefs is not always to the forefront in Scottish minds. Unfortunately all too many were more focussed on their own welfare than anything to do with their clansmen.
    Last edited by EdinSteve; 14th February 19 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    It seems that Reginald, the chief of Clan Ranald was more interested in enriching himself than the welfare of his clan - https://lenathehyena.wordpress.com/2...undrel-lairds/ -
    and it possibly does throw into some light the reason why the romanticism about clans and chiefs is not always to the forefront in Scottish minds. Unfortunately all too many were more focussed on their own welfare than anything to do with their clansmen.
    interesting read thank you.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed there were some absolutely awful people around in Scotland in times past, who inflicted untold hardship upon their kinsmen and others for no other reason than uncaring selfishness. I have never understood the romantic attraction of the Scottish diaspora to these distinctly unattractive types who inflicted such misery upon their ancestors. If it were me, I am damned if I would want to have anything to do with the “Old Country”.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Indeed there were some absolutely awful people around in Scotland in times past, who inflicted untold hardship upon their kinsmen and others for no other reason than uncaring selfishness. I have never understood the romantic attraction of the Scottish diaspora to these distinctly unattractive types who inflicted such misery upon their ancestors. If it were me, I am damned if I would want to have anything to do with the “Old Country”.
    You'd probably have to live in the "New Country" for a while to fully understand.

6. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have come to learn that people are the same wherever you go, some short some tall, some meaner and some nicer. This is but one story that comes out of the highland, and not by a long shot encompasses all who they were. You can’t choose your family, and to Jocks point, maybe you can if it’s 200 years later and ya want to join a club. Just the same it wouldn’t deter me. Much of what Lena the hyena seems to blog about has a rough edge to it...I take it with a we bit of fermented grain.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, history is a trap if not approached with care.

In the U.S. today the attachment to the clan is certainly not an attachment to an autocratic chieftain telling you what to do and starving you in the process. The attachment is to the other members of the clan, to a group of people you have a link with, who share your heritage.

Modern chiefs certainly don't resemble those of the past, and good on them! Many back in Scotland (and many here as well) think some of us as daft but that comes with the territory.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fixed your thread title.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner