X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How big is too big?

Hi.
    I found a second hand kilt on-line... seems reputable and looks very good as a kilt. I would be proud to ear it! .
    I beleive it is bigger then ideal. Length of 24 inches seems perfect. However, I wear a 32 inch waist trouser. This kilt posting states 40-42 for waist .
    What would I need to do to manage the extra fabric? Would pleats likely be further forward when a bigger kilt is on a smaller guy? I presume more cloth in the apron area which might be easier to amend ? Thanks for suggestions.
    Stuart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's going to be way too big.
    I wear 34 trousers and a 36 kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear that it would have to be totally rebuilt, and the chances of the cutouts matching the new size would not be good.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Reconstruction required

The guys at USA Kilts have a YouTube video where they explain minor and major resizing. They said that a size change as big as the one you describe would require taking the kilt apart and reconstructing the kilt. It’s rarely the less costly solution.

If it was just a few inches, a tailor could easily alter it for a modest cost. I would recommend watching their video, because they explain the method and limitations far better than I can.
    Last edited by Karl R; 12th January 19 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added video link

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    The guys at USA Kilts have a YouTube video where they explain minor and major resizing. They said that a size change as big as the one you describe would require taking the kilt apart and reconstructing the kilt. Itís rarely the less costly solution.

If it was just a few inches, a tailor could easily alter it for a modest cost. I would recommend watching their video, because they explain the method and limitations far better than I can.
    Thanks for comments and insight. As it turns out, the kilt has already been sold. It was a Hunting Mackintosh. I am eagerly awaiting a Dress Mackintosh that is being custom fitted. Sadly it wonít be ready for Robbie Burns night. In another thread I will query about jackets that will work with the Dress Tartan. Mostly red with green and small amount of dark blue.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to hear you lost the original kilt. It would have been too big and take too much to resize for your upcoming plans. I glad you have another kilt on its way but am sorry it won't be there for the dinner. I expect the arrival will be a boost to ease your disappointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't answer your question but may help out with Burns date.....

https://www.thekiltlady.ca/product/2890/