X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the exceptions prove the rule. Of course this is a 'society' wedding.

Doublet at wedding.jpg

However, I did the funeral service for a chap a few years ago and, looking through old photographs, noticed that he was married in a Montrose Doublet, probably in the 1960s. On further reflection, I remember at the age of about 11 attending a wedding where I wore a bespoke Montrose. That would have been around 1960. Possibly family delusions of grandeur!
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacRobert's Reply For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that in today's world, the vast majority of formal clothing, kilted or not, will likely be from a rental shop. As such, it will often reflect various trends that rental companies create or promote, rather than what traditionalists would prefer. These trends will tend to be ubiquitous while they are "hot" and then impossible to find when they have become passe. Consider the sky blue polyester tuxedo with ruffled shirt that was so popular in the 1970s and unseen today.

I certainly am always interested in what the traditions are, even as most folks are happy to ignore them. Full disclosure: I have always erred on the side of being "old fashioned" and am unafraid to be accused of wearing a "costume." So sometimes my views may be closer to the re-enactor community than the mainstream of the Rabble. But I recognize where others are coming from and welcome their comments, too.

I think that if it is your wedding, you should wear what would make you happy. But there is no harm in knowing what the etiquette books recommend, so that you understand if you are going out on a limb or coloring well within the lines. It's helpful to know what you are getting into, so that you are prepared for reactions. But you should follow what you want, since it is your party.

Andrew

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    I would be interested in any documented substantiation of the use of a black Montrose with silver buttons for use as a morning coat equivalent. It just wouldn't occur to me to wear it for such.

But then,, what do I know? Not much

And, of course, there is no law against a tuxedo at a morning wedding--Lord knows you see that nowadays from the younger set who've never heard of "after six" and such, and who dress abominably anyway--but it just really is't done, traditionally at least.
    You miss the point however, every generation has a right to change and evolve conventions as time gors by. So if it becomes a convention to wear Prince Charlie and White Hose for a daytime wedding in a posh setting then that is perfectly acceptable.

Remember every generation tends to look at the dress standards of the following generation and observe something that would have been considered as 'scruffy' in their day but which is now considered to be more than suitable for the setting.

With regards to weddings but I think personally with regard to setting may play more of a part than time of day. For example if you're getting married in a cathedral or church with stained glass windows, high stone ceilings, ect then evening dress style of Prince Charlie, or Montrose or any other form of doublet with a lace jabot looks fine regardless of time, and if you're getting married in a small country church with little decoration other than the ancient carved crosses then tweed may be more appropriate.

That's my thoughts, others are free to disagree..

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    You miss the point . . .
    That's my thoughts, others are free to disagree..
    I did not miss the point. The discussion was about appropriate attire for morning, evening, semi-formal, formal, etc. I only suggested "documented substantiation" because it had been requested previously. LOL

Of course everyone is free to do as he chooses with regard to sartorial splendor--or lack of same--but it's tacky, in my opinion, to knowingly dress inappropriately for special occasions. And breaking with tradition (because you don't know what the tradition is)is not really fashion courage; it's ignorance of the tradition and/or standard. The setting is less an indicator of the level of dress than is the invitation--hopefully. If the bride requests semi-formal, i.e., tuxedo, then one should dress at that level, whether country church or Notre Dame. If the request is for formal/full dress, then it's white tie and tails--or morning coat if in the morning.

On the other hand, the young are likely to show up in jeans and tux jacket, wearing high top sneakers just to make sure no one accuses them of compliance. Ha. It is the way of youth, and even we old codgers were young once, believe it or not. I wore a ruffled shirt and butterfly bow tie to my high school prom, feeling very "dressy." No one was injured in the event.

The "rules" (if I may use the term loosely here) are a bit blurred for highland attire --our current concern--because there is some confusion about the relative pairing of jackets, doublets, etc. with non-highland dress, e.g., what exactly is the highland equivalent of a morning coat? A tuxedo? Tails? I generally look to Jock Scot for guidance since he has done this stuff for many decades and has internalized the "rules" that we tend to guess at.

There are no enforceable rules, no style police to hand out citations, no horrible consequences for one who chooses not to conform to the traditions or standards. It's just about accepted "rules," opinions and preferences, and that is the point.

The only thing black that I would personally wear to a morning or afternoon semi- to formal event would be a morning coat--the trousers would be gray striped. In highland attire, it would likely be an argyle jacket with five button waist coat. (Leave the three--button issue for evening wear.) Depending on the event, who is in it, etc., I would be likely to wear a gray tweed jacket with waist coat. Four-in-hand tie for either, probably black for a more formal occasion.

When in doubt, I will try to ere on the side of caution--that is, dress conservatively--so as not to exhibit buffoonery. LOL I am foolish enough without trying to appear to be so.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, many of the thingsyou describe as 'tradition' were described as a "mockery of Highland dress" as they had nothing to do with pre proscription Highland dress. So you either are so purist about tradition that you shouldn't accept anything post 45, or accept that dress codes are constantly in a state of flux and always have been and therefore if in this day and age that is how the majority of those in highland wear tend to dress according to the event,setting, formality and not the time of day.

I realise to you 200 years is probably a long time in history, but in the British Isles 200 years is barely a marker of "tradition" - it's more habit...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the word "code" is more rigid than what people are discussing. "Dress norms" or "suitable dress" might be more appropriate terminologies.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234