X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headed to Scotland - May 12-16

Will be in Edinburgh a couple days then driving thru the Highlands to the Isles to find the home of my great-great Grandfather (Grimsay, North Uist).
    Hope to meet up with some of the rabble whilst there.

Also, any tips on good places to shop for Highlandwear, restaurants and pubs are greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never eaten in a restaurant in Scotland that I didn't like. I most often ate the venison and sticky toffee pudding for dessert, so was happy just about everywhere. The ales, lagers, and whiskies are pretty good, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been from Benbecula on the causeway through the Isle of Grimsay, to North Uist many times.
    I hope you are used to the many Single track roads on the islands, with their errant sheep...

Which way are you going? Oban - Lochboisdale or Uig - Lochmaddy?

Your Shopping for Highlandwear will almost certainly be limited to the very big towns, most probably in Edinbugh, Stirling, (Oban if you go that way) I never saw a kilt on the islands.

There is a craft silversmiths https://www.hebrideanjewellery.co.uk/ at Iochar on South Uist, near my old Sgoil (now a community centre).

The Dark Island restaurant / hotel on Benbecula was good when I lived nearby but that was some years ago.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always order the soup

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Also, any tips on good places to shop for Highlandwear, restaurants and pubs are greatly appreciated.
    My rule of thumb after visiting Scotland ... always order the soup. The soups there were amazing.

For specific spots, I enjoyed The Sheep Heid Inn. It's in Duddingston, just on the far side of the Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat from the Royal Mile (which makes it the perfect spot to grab a bite after hiking those).

If you want something more in town, we also enjoyed the Bailie Bar. The beer battered haddock easily serves two (and don't forget to save room for soup).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will love Scotland, and the area in the north-west to which you will be travelling is one of the most beautiful.
    I live 55 miles south-east from Edinburgh, which is in the opposite direction from where you will be visiting. However depending on how long you are stopping in Edinburgh and on my availability it could be a possibility to meet up with you in Edinburgh.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are around the Fort William area give a holler, I may be about.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stayed at the The Cowshed in Uig last year - very handy for the ferry and by far the best hostel I have ever stayed at, pretty cool and will be returning this year. Good hikes at the Cuillins and Stor.

In Edinburgh the Bow Bar just off the Royal Mile is a good spot for a pint or a dram to take a break from the tourist trail. Out of the highland wear establishments I have always favoured Nicolsons and Slanj (Kinloch Anderson generally being a bit out of my price range - but I can dream).

As for the rest - it depends on your route through the highlands. Distance and time wise there's not much in it - so it's all down to what you want to see and do.

Planning is half the fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re headed through Inverness I recommend Chisholm’s Highland Dress. I was there last September and they did a bespoke kilt for me in Lindsay modern. It took 12 weeks to arrive but I’m really happy with the result.

They’re right across the street from the castle.

Also, I had some excellent pork belly at MacGregor’s in Inverness.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to rangepig For This Useful Post: