X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    Now whenever I see a different kilt jacket that I like, I feel like I should add one of those to my closet. Unfortunately, I have neither the budget nor space to add all the jackets I like!
    Same here; they can be addictive! I have 6 vintage tweed kilt jackets in various colours and styles that I've accumulated over the years as they come up on eBay. I've bid on plenty more but lost them. I look at it as a long game where it just takes patience and a willingness to spring at the right moment, but also the self-restraint (and budgeting) to not go crazy and buy too many within a certain time frame. Like the rest of my kilt wardrobe, it really does take years to accumulate a complete and well-rounded set. It's fun to mix them with different kilts, shirts, waistcoats, ties, hose, and all the other accessories, making the permutations virtually infinite. And the interplay between tweed patterns (windowpane, check, etc.) and tartan can add wonderful complexity to an outfit. But colour-matching the jacket to the kilt isn't even on my radar.

My kilts and jackets do take up a considerable amount of closet space, to the point where I'm considering building a custom cedar-lined wardrobe (or retrofitting an antique wardrobe with cedar lining) just for them. My wife has started to grumble about how much space they take up, but when she does, I remind her that she has an entire bedroom dedicated to her vintage ladies' hats. It ends in stalemate.

Last edited by Tobus; 17th January 19 at 05:50 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Texas seems to be a place where many Johnstone/Johnston/Johnson live. My family called Odessa home. Trying to figure out when they got there. The proverbial name change is making it a bit tough. Trivia......my great something grandfather was a school teacher in Odessa, mid-1800's...
    If your great something grandfather was in Odessa in the mid-1800s, he was probably pretty lonely, as Odessa wasn't established until 1881, and then as water stop and cattle-shipping point on the Texas and Pacific Railway!

Full disclosure: I'm both a native of Odessa and a Maxwell (you might recall that there was a bit of friction between the two families).

I'm with Tobus in thinking that earthier-toned — and perhaps patterned — tweeds would work well with your tartan. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 17th January 19 at 07:47 AM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    If your great something grandfather was in Odessa in the mid-1800s, he was probably pretty lonely, as Odessa wasn't established until 1881, and then as water stop and cattle-shipping point on the Texas and Pacific Railway!

Full disclosure: I'm both a native of Odessa and a Maxwell (you might recall that there was a bit of friction between the two families).

I'm with Tobus in thinking that earthier-toned — and perhaps patterned — tweeds would work well with your tartan. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

SM
    Shaun.....

I assume Odessa must not have been a great place to live. Given the fact, they moved to Lone Wolf, Oklahoma !
    As for the tweeds. I recently lost out on one. Seller pulled the listing.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three kilt jackets. The first one being a basic black barathea Arygle. The other two were made to order for me after looking at tweed offerings from Harris, and the second from Marton Mills. I never gave a thought to the kilt(s) I might wear them with.

If you wish the full suite, I would strongly suggest you order the jacket, waistcoat and kilt at the same time. The same color of a different dye lot is just that, different.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also of the "get a good tweed and it will look fine" camp. However, I also strongly favor the patterns, especially the bolder checks. These may look too "loud" when you see them pictured alone, but they seem to look fabulous with a tartan kilt.

My own tweed jacket is a brown herringbone, which works great. I would love a bolder pattern, but it was the only tweed fabric my Beijing tailor had available. I hope someday to get something in a good green with a rusty overcheck.

Nonetheless, brown, grey, and lovat blue and green are also great-looking choices. As Tobus and McMurdo demonstrate, there are lots of "right answers" to your question.

Happy hunting!

Andrew

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The moment I saw the kilt in the OP what jumped to mind first was Lovat green. Second was Lovat blue.

I suppose it's a result of what I wear, which is whatever vintage jackets in my size have come up on Ebay.

My most recent, by Cooper & McKenzie (Dundee) is a very nice tweed with flecks of blues and greens that would look great with anything

And the one I've had for years which is, pretty much, Feldgrau, also very versatile

Anything like that would be great for your kilt.

For sure I love those check tweeds! They're the Holy Grail of kilt jackets to me, but I'll probably never own one.

I've never found a vintage one my size (50) and probably never will, and a bespoke one would be too dear for my liking.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th January 19 at 07:56 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of tweed suit jacket conversions in the 'for sale' section and if they fit then the price is definitely right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    There are a couple of tweed suit jacket conversions in the 'for sale' section and if they fit then the price is definitely right.
    As they appear, I look. Sadly, i'm not correctly sized for them.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Alternative to check tweed?

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    For sure I love those check tweeds! They're the Holy Grail of kilt jackets to me, but I'll probably never own one.
    Would you get the same kind of effect if you got a jacket & waistcoat made in the Northumberland / Falkirk / Shepherd tartan?

I'd toyed with the idea as an exception to the "no mixing of tartans" guideline ... especially since one branch of my family is from Northumberland.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that I have seen photos of Highland gentry in family tartan with a shepherd check maud over their
    shoulder. As well, jackets of that tartan worn with family tartan. Doesn't mean I'm recalling correctly, and certainly
    does not imply "correctness", but perhaps that it is/was done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast