X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inebrius View Post
    I'm liking CelticSire's alternative, a little file work will fix that right up, although some grinding won't take the temper out of blade steel, or even mild steel for that matter. As an aside, it's common practice to dip the steel in water periodically to keep the temp down and avoid that possiblity all together. (And if you've seen any of my welds, you can guess how much practice I have with grinding ).
    If you have a Dremel tool, or know someone who does, you will be all set in a matter of mere minutes vs. filing and sanding.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more the heat loosening whatever adhesive was used to affix the handle that I'm worried about.
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticSire View Post
    It's more the heat loosening whatever adhesive was used to affix the handle that I'm worried about.
    one way to deal with that is using a heat damn, (wet rag) wrapped around the lower section of the blade.
    Last edited by Me cousin Jack; 14th March 19 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made several knives of various design, usually the handle is secured with epoxy. Your going to have a heck of a time getting the handle off without destroying it. I say just ruin the handle you don't like and make a new one out of some material that is special to you.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I choose to wear a blade. Not everyone does. I use it. Not everyone does. There's no law that says you have to tuck
    anything in your hose, and you'll look fine without. As a kid, I learned the carpenter's trick of opening with a hammer, as
    an adult, I've found my hand will work for most bottles. The back of a knife blade will do. A flat blade screwdriver will do.

My point? I grew up in a time and place where people fought for amusement and aggression was a cherished and well
    honed hobby. I would never stick a "brew" in my hose and imply there might be a reason to up the level of aggression.
    I often say here a sgian is not a weapon; it isn't. However, aggressive folk know that virtually any tool may, in a pinch,
    become effective in a scrape, and assume the worst.

Edited to add in the USA, when in a kilt, it is generally legal to wear a sgian. I've had peace officers and security teams tell
    me they would confiscate a "brew" as quickly as a bladed sgian, and for the same reason. Many to most probably wouldn't,
    and I've had some say that knowing what it is they let it pass. But when in question I simply go with unloaded hose.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 15th March 19 at 06:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12