X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my first kilt and some doubts

IMG-20190118-WA0005.jpg

I sewed my first denim x-kilt...

20190107_201407 (1).jpg

...and a matching fanny pack. Sorry if a funny pack is a no no when wearing a kilt, I don't like pockets and I need where to put my keys/wallet/cellphone. Final idea is a leather/denim sporran but I wanted to wear this kilt NOW.

IMG-20190119-WA0017.jpg

I still have some doubts about the pleat under the over apron.

20190121_174026.jpg

Because the over apron "A" shape the pleat shows under the apron (closer to the floor when weared, not talking about behind which is obvious). I don't know if this is right or I made something wrong. Is the little spike in the picture.

Also the under apron wears parallel to the waist when the over apron pleat goes downward, making the cross pleat small and parallel when the over apron pleat has an angle. Don't know if i shoud cut a triangle in the under apron lower part and sew it in the upper part, making and angle with the waist strip.

20190121_180004.jpg
    Last edited by alfrenovsky; 21st January 19 at 02:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to alfrenovsky For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met and welcome new member.

You have made and displayed a kilt (in every sense of the description). Box pleats work well with denim because they press easier, and in my opinion, look/work best for the material.

The "fanny pack" is constructed like a sporran with a belt and a bag to hold one's personal goods and worn with a kilt. Don't worry about that.

The construction question about the under apron will best be answered by on more efficient in making a kilt. My utility kilt has the same issue (slightly less) and doesn't bother me but can be corrected.

Glad to have you with us. Let us know how your kilting adventures go.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The X-kilt is a great down and dirty kilt that most can make themselves in one weekend.

The little part hanging down is called an "Apron tip" and it is usually folded up a bit further than the rest of the hem.

A kilt is not an easy thing to get perfect the first time but you did well. Another possible problem is the fabric you chose. Denim is perhaps the worst fabric for a kilt.

See if your local library has a copy of "The Art of Kiltmaking" by Barbra Tewksbury. This is today the definitive book on kiltmaking and will give you many ideas of what makes a kilt hang and swish well. Although it is about a hand-stitched, wool, Tartan kilt it will give you all the inside details that the X Kilt omits for ease and speed.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    A kilt is not an easy thing to get perfect the first time but you did well. Another possible problem is the fabric you chose. Denim is perhaps the worst fabric for a kilt.
    The xkilt PDF has well detailed text buy very few pictures and almost no closeup pictures. I never held a kilt before, so I didn't knew how it's supposed to be. I was sewing and seeing how it's going.

I chose denim because I wanted to wear the kilt where I would wear a pair of jeans. And seems easy and cheaper for a first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    See if your local library has a copy of "The Art of Kiltmaking" by Barbra Tewksbury. This is today the definitive book on kiltmaking and will give you many ideas of what makes a kilt hang and swish well. Although it is about a hand-stitched, wool, Tartan kilt it will give you all the inside details that the X Kilt omits for ease and speed.
    Will look for it. Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A warm Scottish welcome from middle England. Well done, a great way to start your kilting experience. as Steve says, try to get hold of Barb's book. But for simplicity, if it helps, similar issues are tackled, as Steve says, with a tuck like the one shown below on my Anderson tartan woollen kilt.

If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from North Texas.
    KD

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedDixon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the “Great Rabble”!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post: