X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Box Pleated Kilts?

Hi Rocky and company,

I'm jonesing for yet another kilt, and want a five yard box pleated one this time. I'd like to order another from USA Kilts specifically, but am wondering if you do these?

I would have sent this inquiry via your website Contact Us, but thought the answer would be helpful to all of the members of Xmarks.

Here is the exact DC Dalgliesh mill MacRae tartan I have in mind for this kilt:

Cheers.
    Last edited by Mike S; 26th January 19 at 08:31 PM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many options for pleats to the stripe in the MacRae. But, I am partial to box pleats and think the sett of this tartan would be best in a box pleated kilt. All the colors and lines would stand out better in my mind. I hope they reply with, "of course, when do you want us to start?"

Let us know. Also, what sporran (in your stable) would be your first choice to wear with this?

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi my friend. I think one of the brown toned daywear sporrans I've made would be sublime with the colors of this MacRae tartan. I feel that this is the most attractive incarnation of the MacRae sett too. Hope that Rocky can access this DC Dalgliesh version.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While we don't have them on our site, we CAN do a box pleated kilt. Send an email to sales@usakilts.com with a link to the design you're looking for and we'll be happy to help. 😁

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fingers crossed for you Mike. Thanks Rocky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks so much Rocky and Bobby! Great news. I have a few more pounds to lose, and then I will discuss this with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome and good luck!

That's awesome that USA Kilts has the option for Box pleated kilts now!

Please keep us posted about how your kilt goes! I'd love to see the final result! That tartan is beautiful!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of advice regarding Dalgliesh's reproduction colors: get a swatch to be sure you like the colors. I'd considered saving for custom weave of Murray of Tullibardine, so I ordered a swatch of the MacNaughton they had in stock (very different tartan but in the same basic colors). The red was more of a brick red than the rich crimson their digital samples imply, and the blue and green were likewise closer to the grey and tan of Lochcarron's weathered palette. You might find, as I did, that House of Edgar's muted version is more to your liking:

Again, that's not quite accurate either, so I'd advise obtaining samples of both.