X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    Those are some good links, O.C. My German knee socks are more than long enough to turn down like the usual kilt hose. In fact they come up high enough they'd make good sexy girl socks. They should work for most guys. There are quite a few on eBay now. The German socks have fancy legs, butt plain tops. Scottish socks have plain legs but fancy tops -- usually. If the two styles could be merged they'd be really interesting.

Jack Pyle shooting socks look promising. The ones I'm looking at are only sized up to US size 11.5. I've found other Pyke clothing isn't sized for larger guys. I have a pair of Pykes on order.

Pennine shooting socks are nice and do come in sizes for larger feet. There is are a wide range of colors available from them. I have one pair in burnt orange. I've never seen anything like that from HoC..
    Amazon.co.uk has these from HoC but I don't know if you can get them on the american site. You may have to order them from a British retailer.

Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a general search using shooting socks as the search term. A lot turned up, from inexpensive to fit for the man who would be king. I even found some in cotton, lots of kiltoids have asked about cotton hose. This place has a fantastic range.

https://www.webury.com/shooting/shoo...ckings-garters
    Benning School for Boys
    97th Company
    OC 5-68

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the shooting socks are very long, I have a pair like that, I have to double-fold them in a certain way to make them look like kilt hose.

They're joined, there's a seam hidden under the fold, and I've considered taking them apart, cutting them down, and sewing them back together to make them the right length for ordinary kilt hose.

Ironically the so-called "pipers' socks" are even longer than shooting socks, but they're designed to be triple-folded at the top. Shooting socks aren't long enough to do that, but too long to do a simple foldover like traditional kilt hose.

So back to the German Burns' Night, I do believe German speakers might have a leg up on American English speakers in pronouncing the Burns dialect poems.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 6th February 19 at 05:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12